post Oct 18 2018, 05:59 PM
Post #581

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 41,369

QUOTE (xabirocks @ Oct 18 2018, 06:54 PM) *
Enjoyed reading that thumbsup.gif

thumbsup.gif Thanks

Had to change Ryan to a keeper with 3 good upcoming fixtures as I looked at upcoming games wrong laugh.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
NichiNichev
post Oct 18 2018, 06:01 PM
Post #582

Advanced Member

Member No.: 40,465

QUOTE (Villarg @ Oct 18 2018, 08:49 PM) *
It’s beneficial to spend time on it, as long as you don’t look at things so much that you lose the plot. Those elite managers likely spend more hours studying players and stats than 99% of their competition, but don’t allow that research to drive them into making rash decisions. This game is quick to make the knee jerk, but usually rewards people that plan ahead.

An example, specific to my team, is wanting to take out Hennessey for Patricio’s next two fixtures. I’d need a hit to do so and looking at it straight on seems like an ok move. “Of course it’s ok for my team to take a hit. I wouldn’t lose much ground and haven’t taken one yet this season.” But that’s me considering a -4 holistically. What a -4 really means is 2pts from Hennessey is 6pts from Patricio. A free transfer next week would get Patricio in for Brighton, but then his fixtures turn and I’d likely transfer him out two weeks from now before Tottenham and Arsenal. After going over the moving parts, I’m not sure Patricio is a good move for my team right now. Keeping Hennesey this week + getting someone with 3 favorable fixtures in on a free + getting in Patricio on a free for his games vs Huddersfield/Cardiff sounds like a better long term plan than taking a -4 for Patricio now + my free transfer in 2 weeks.

This is all “too much time spent thinking” but didn’t lead to any action. Not saying I am an elite manager, but using this an example of how inaction is an action in FPL. Patience can be as rewarding as foresight. It’s a balance between both. I’d even go as far a saying patience is the foundation for taking healthy punts. If you can save yourself a hit that punt becomes much more valuable.

* I know I didn’t consider price changes or injuries where you wouldn’t be able to field 11. There’s plenty of reasons to take a hit. Just putting a philosophical spin on what I believe to be an under-appreciated aspect of managing a team.

Good point. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers.

+Quote Post
Villarg
post Oct 18 2018, 06:03 PM
Post #583

Advanced Member

QUOTE (NichiNichev @ Oct 18 2018, 07:01 PM) *
Good point. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers.

drinks.gif

+Quote Post
Netley Lucas
post Oct 18 2018, 07:00 PM
Post #584

Nirvana

Member No.: 44,432

QUOTE (Villarg @ Oct 18 2018, 06:49 PM) *
It’s beneficial to spend time on it, as long as you don’t look at things so much that you lose the plot. Those elite managers likely spend more hours studying players and stats than 99% of their competition, but don’t allow that research to drive them into making rash decisions. This game is quick to make the knee jerk, but usually rewards people that plan ahead.

An example, specific to my team, is wanting to take out Hennessey for Patricio’s next two fixtures. I’d need a hit to do so and looking at it straight on seems like an ok move. “Of course it’s ok for my team to take a hit. I wouldn’t lose much ground and haven’t taken one yet this season.” But that’s me considering a -4 holistically. What a -4 really means is 2pts from Hennessey is 6pts from Patricio. A free transfer next week would get Patricio in for Brighton, but then his fixtures turn and I’d likely transfer him out two weeks from now before Tottenham and Arsenal. After going over the moving parts, I’m not sure Patricio is a good move for my team right now. Keeping Hennesey this week + getting someone with 3 favorable fixtures in on a free + getting in Patricio on a free for his games vs Huddersfield/Cardiff sounds like a better long term plan than taking a -4 for Patricio now + my free transfer in 2 weeks.

This is all “too much time spent thinking” but didn’t lead to any action. Not saying I am an elite manager, but using this an example of how inaction is an action in FPL. Patience can be as rewarding as foresight. It’s a balance between both. I’d even go as far a saying patience is the foundation for taking healthy punts. If you can save yourself a hit that punt becomes much more valuable.

* I know I didn’t consider price changes or injuries where you wouldn’t be able to field 11. There’s plenty of reasons to take a hit. Just putting a philosophical spin on what I believe to be an under-appreciated aspect of managing a team.

Of course the 'elite' team managers did have their own individual teams that took up all their time laugh.gif The irony being the collective inactivity did better than all the individual teams bar one ohmy.gif

Had a similar dilemma way back on Friday (bri v whm) night, get Pat for 4.5 or stick with Ryan? Even though I knew it was risky and could involve a hit if Rich were to do well @lei... I did it. For me it was not about fixtures but who was the best 4.5 set & forget? Was it worth it? I dunno but he sure as hell looks a bloody fine keeper with a solid defence & DM protecting him. Keepers should be the last thing we bother about due to the padding effect of saves, pks & baps but for me it was a priority to get him in @4.5 while I still had the chance. ohmy.gif

Overthinking? Maybe, or just a case of improving the team? Time will tell eh laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Villarg
post Oct 18 2018, 08:33 PM
Post #585

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Netley Lucas @ Oct 18 2018, 07:00 PM) *
I dunno but he sure as hell looks a bloody fine keeper with a solid defence & DM protecting him. Keepers should be the last thing we bother about due to the padding effect of saves, pks & baps but for me it was a priority to get him in @4.5 while I still had the chance. ohmy.gif

Overthinking? Maybe, or just a case of improving the team? Time will tell eh laugh.gif

That's another side of it: prioritizing and having players/teams you trust when their fixtures aren't hot. It reduces the positions that you feel you need to address.

Mitro hasn't been producing lately, but the thought of transferring him out hasn't crossed my mind because I believe he is a fantastic player that can score v anyone. Until that opinion changes, he's one less position on my team that I need to worry about. For a higher priced example, KDB was one of those players last year. Long term investment in players you believe in makes things way more flexible down the line.

+Quote Post
Villarg
post Oct 18 2018, 08:39 PM
Post #586

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Netley Lucas @ Oct 18 2018, 07:00 PM) *
The irony being the collective inactivity did better than all the individual teams bar one ohmy.gif

Like those teams that don't change their lineup from day one and end up in the top 10k. The pinnacle of inactivity-strategy laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Netley Lucas
post Yesterday, 02:52 PM
Post #587

Nirvana

Member No.: 44,432

https://soundcloud.com/user-413363691/hes-e...t-at-the-moment

This was done 10 days ago. I was in two minds about updating it but there's a danger of re-writing history and this does capture the spirit of slight gameweek disappointment, early moves and impending international break.

+Quote Post
crazylegs
post Yesterday, 03:22 PM
Post #588

Sodalis Extraordinaire!

Member No.: 6,379

QUOTE (Villarg @ Oct 18 2018, 09:39 PM) *
Like those teams that don't change their lineup from day one and end up in the top 10k. The pinnacle of inactivity-strategy laugh.gif

Theres a fartbook league I think that plays that strategy, not sure how they are doing though as I wasn't really interested in joining it, can't sit on a team and do nowt to it all season, have to tinker laugh.gif

--------------------

WCGrid
I'm not grouchy by nature, it takes constant effort!

S11 Arena Champion 2017/18 with Renegades!
S11 Arena League Champion of the season 2016/17
S11 Arena Champion 2011/12 with Dexters!

+Quote Post
vsberlina
post Yesterday, 11:30 PM
Post #589

VSBerlina
Group Icon

Group: Patron
Member No.: 4,227

QUOTE (crazylegs @ Oct 20 2018, 02:22 AM) *
Theres a fartbook league I think that plays that strategy, not sure how they are doing though as I wasn't really interested in joining it, can't sit on a team and do nowt to it all season, have to tinker laugh.gif

We could try one, but I foresee punch on ensuing. laugh.gif

--------------------
Love EPL Fantasy Football? Try these.

The official Fantasy Premier League 2017/18 games.
The Real Dream Team
FOXSports EPL Fantasy Football
Fantasysportnet
Goaldenboot Pick 8 players who you think will score this week.
Predictor TalkSport (the old IKTS)

Love Candy Crush and Farm Heroes Sagas? Add me on Facebook for lives, beans and tickets.

+Quote Post
RAPID
post Yesterday, 11:59 PM
Post #590

✟ CARPE ✟ DIEM ✟
Group Icon

Member No.: 7,943

QUOTE (vsberlina @ Oct 20 2018, 02:30 AM) *
We could try one, but I foresee punch on ensuing. laugh.gif

I foresee suicides as well. laugh.gif

This post has been edited by RAPID: Today, 12:02 AM

--------------------
Mané, Mané, Mané
Must be funny ☺️
In the Rich man's world
Mané, Mané, Mané
Always sunny ☀️
In Richarlison's world

★★★★★★★★★★★★★
“RAPID scores goals like Marco van Basten(PTC)
“RAPID is the Magical Negro whose special powers make us all better at Fantasy Footie”(scoobyliscious)

+Quote Post
vsberlina
post Today, 02:31 AM
Post #591

VSBerlina
Group Icon

Member No.: 4,227

QUOTE (RAPID @ Oct 20 2018, 10:59 AM) *
I foresee suicides as well. laugh.gif

Why would I kill myself if I don't get my way? I'll just kill the person who's in my way, and get my way anyway. smile.gif

--------------------
Love EPL Fantasy Football? Try these.

The official Fantasy Premier League 2017/18 games.
The Real Dream Team
FOXSports EPL Fantasy Football
Fantasysportnet
Goaldenboot Pick 8 players who you think will score this week.
Predictor TalkSport (the old IKTS)

Love Candy Crush and Farm Heroes Sagas? Add me on Facebook for lives, beans and tickets.

+Quote Post

30 Pages V  « < 28 29 30
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th October 2018 - 10:39 PM