> History Thread, The contributions of man
scoobyliscious
post Nov 15 2018, 05:23 PM
Post #61

Ambassador of Grandiose Vision & Pomposity
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 1,142

Can't believe it took me this long to get back here ...

1. Marmite / Vegemite: I'll go with "not good." Frankly, when you use the suffix -ite, whatever food you think you are making, it's bound to taste like salts. Or, salty versions of the root word, i.e. like a salty vegetable or, and I can't help but think this, like a salty Marmot. I'm good with eating rodent, when necessary. Even better, I like a good sheared beaver coat (my wife worked for a furrier for a while, and the general shopper is an older couple; so, her favorite "trick" was to ask the husband if he wanted to feel how soft the sheared beaver was, and then walk him over to the correct coat; have to love saucy women!). And, I'm ok with umami, but, as a flavor, it needs something to balance it. Neither of the -ites has any balance (I'm thinking it's the food equivalent of Bambi on ice), so I'm pretty out.
  2. Mmmmm, bacon jam!
  3. Is turnip cabbage a turnip or a cabbage? And which 5 spices (or do you mean what we in the States call "Chinese 5 spice": star anise, cloves, cinnamon, pepper and fennel? I've spent some time with both turnips and cabbage, but I'm not sure I've ever tried to season them with 5-spice. Now that I think about it, I bet a fennel and roasted turnips salad would be pretty tasty

As for "contributions" and since we are a week away, I think we need to discuss that most American of holidays, Thanksgiving (quiet down in the back, Canada, I'm using "American" in the general New World sense, and when you have the world's largest economy, you can complain about it): a celebration of gluttony, cultural appropriation and boundless possibility disguised as humility.

It's the best (although, we really need to decide upon a better protein than turkey).

--------------------
I used to stay out late and try to walk the Muse home. Now I get up fresh-faced at 7 a.m. and take advantage of her while she's passing out.
-Bono
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
PTC
post Nov 15 2018, 07:20 PM
Post #62

Advanced Member
Group Icon

Group: Patron
Member No.: 2,846

I'm trying to convince my wife to try goose for Christmas.

I have no chance of success, but a boy can dream.

+Quote Post
RAPID
post Nov 15 2018, 08:39 PM
Post #63

✟ CARPE ✟ DIEM ✟
Group Icon

Member No.: 7,943

QUOTE (PTC @ Nov 15 2018, 10:20 PM) *
I'm trying to convince my wife to try goose for Christmas.

I have no chance of success, but a boy can dream.

A boy can, you can't. tongue.gif

--------------------
Mané, Mané, Mané
Must be funny ☺️
In the Rich man's world
Mané, Mané, Mané
Always sunny ☀️
In Richarlison's world

★★★★★★★★★★★★★
“RAPID scores goals like Marco van Basten(PTC)
“RAPID is the Magical Negro whose special powers make us all better at Fantasy Footie”(scoobyliscious)

+Quote Post
PTC
post Nov 15 2018, 10:17 PM
Post #64

Advanced Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,846

QUOTE (RAPID @ Nov 15 2018, 03:39 PM) *
A boy can, you can't. tongue.gif

That's rather mean spirited. sad.gif

You ain't no spring chicken. Are you 30 yet?

+Quote Post
RAPID
post Nov 16 2018, 12:13 AM
Post #65

✟ CARPE ✟ DIEM ✟
Group Icon

Member No.: 7,943

QUOTE (PTC @ Nov 16 2018, 01:17 AM) *
That's rather mean spirited. sad.gif

You ain't no spring chicken. Are you 30 yet?

I'm not even 13 yet...

--------------------
Mané, Mané, Mané
Must be funny ☺️
In the Rich man's world
Mané, Mané, Mané
Always sunny ☀️
In Richarlison's world

★★★★★★★★★★★★★
“RAPID scores goals like Marco van Basten(PTC)
“RAPID is the Magical Negro whose special powers make us all better at Fantasy Footie”(scoobyliscious)

+Quote Post
vsberlina
post Nov 16 2018, 02:29 AM
Post #66

VSBerlina
Group Icon

Member No.: 4,227

QUOTE (scoobyliscious @ Nov 16 2018, 04:23 AM) *
Can't believe it took me this long to get back here ...

1. Marmite / Vegemite: I'll go with "not good." Frankly, when you use the suffix -ite, whatever food you think you are making, it's bound to taste like salts. Or, salty versions of the root word, i.e. like a salty vegetable or, and I can't help but think this, like a salty Marmot. I'm good with eating rodent, when necessary. Even better, I like a good sheared beaver coat (my wife worked for a furrier for a while, and the general shopper is an older couple; so, her favorite "trick" was to ask the husband if he wanted to feel how soft the sheared beaver was, and then walk him over to the correct coat; have to love saucy women!). And, I'm ok with umami, but, as a flavor, it needs something to balance it. Neither of the -ites has any balance (I'm thinking it's the food equivalent of Bambi on ice), so I'm pretty out.
  2. Mmmmm, bacon jam!
  3. Is turnip cabbage a turnip or a cabbage? And which 5 spices (or do you mean what we in the States call "Chinese 5 spice": star anise, cloves, cinnamon, pepper and fennel? I've spent some time with both turnips and cabbage, but I'm not sure I've ever tried to season them with 5-spice. Now that I think about it, I bet a fennel and roasted turnips salad would be pretty tasty

As for "contributions" and since we are a week away, I think we need to discuss that most American of holidays, Thanksgiving (quiet down in the back, Canada, I'm using "American" in the general New World sense, and when you have the world's largest economy, you can complain about it): a celebration of gluttony, cultural appropriation and boundless possibility disguised as humility.

It's the best (although, we really need to decide upon a better protein than turkey).

Anything with a suffix of -ite, usually is preceded with a prefix of -sh.

Ah, good old Thanksgiving. The giving of thanks to the generous natives who gave their land to the newcomers.
Or, the celebration of the murder of the natives and the theft of their land. But hey, the victor always gets to write history.

--------------------
Love EPL Fantasy Football? Try these.

The official Fantasy Premier League 2017/18 games.
The Real Dream Team
FOXSports EPL Fantasy Football
Fantasysportnet
Goaldenboot Pick 8 players who you think will score this week.
Predictor TalkSport (the old IKTS)

Love Candy Crush and Farm Heroes Sagas? Add me on Facebook for lives, beans and tickets.

+Quote Post
WALOR
post Yesterday, 10:35 PM
Post #67

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,728

QUOTE (vsberlina @ Nov 15 2018, 09:29 PM) *
Anything with a suffix of -ite, usually is preceded with a prefix of -sh.

Ah, good old Thanksgiving. The giving of thanks to the generous natives who gave their land to the newcomers.
Or, the celebration of the murder of the natives and the theft of their land. But hey, the victor always gets to write history.

We stole it fair and square

--------------------
If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.

FFS Hall of Fame rank 997 ("Roscoe Pound")

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  « < 2 3 4
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th November 2018 - 07:37 PM