Post #241

King of Sheep
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 4,598

QUOTE (PTC @ May 28 2016, 07:54 PM) *
You two are rubbish.

I've won this one as well.

Hopefully it's just you two for the TDF, and no one decent comes along and joins the league. tongue.gif

Amazing last couple of days. Let's hope that there weren't any drug shenanigans. whistling.gif

Amazing. What a last couple of days. My team came apart out of nothing. Great race.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
broadview
post May 29 2016, 02:42 PM
Post #242

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,649

Spectator strikes again, steps out to take a picture and trips up Colbrelli I think.

--------------------
Nope, nothing to see down here. Move along.

+Quote Post
broadview
post May 29 2016, 02:58 PM
Post #243

Advanced Member

Nizzolo wins the day and Nibali wins it all. Wet roads add to the excitement, great race!

--------------------

+Quote Post
PTC
post May 29 2016, 05:50 PM
Post #244

Advanced Member
Group Icon

Group: Patron
Member No.: 2,846

QUOTE (broadview @ May 29 2016, 10:58 AM) *
Nizzolo wins the day and Nibali wins it all. Wet roads add to the excitement, great race!

Well, he nearly won. biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
PTC
post May 29 2016, 05:51 PM
Post #245

Advanced Member
Group Icon

QUOTE (broadview @ May 29 2016, 10:42 AM) *
Spectator strikes again, steps out to take a picture and trips up Colbrelli I think.

And motorbikes causing more crashes in Belgium. sad.gif

+Quote Post
PTC
post May 29 2016, 06:24 PM
Post #246

Advanced Member
Group Icon

QUOTE (broadview @ May 29 2016, 10:58 AM) *

And another thing.

Tell your people that it's not wise for their kids to be playing with gorillas. angry.gif

+Quote Post
broadview
post May 29 2016, 07:18 PM
Post #247

Advanced Member

QUOTE (PTC @ May 29 2016, 01:50 PM) *
Well, he nearly won. biggrin.gif

Wow, Nizzolo disqualified! They showed Modolo angry about being cut off in his lane, but I just saw now that they passed judgment on this.

There are some dumb parents around, and they show their worst at zoos. angry.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
broadview
post May 30 2016, 05:50 PM
Post #248

Advanced Member

Since you brought up dangerous animal stories, human spectators aren't the only hazard to cyclists.

‘Cute’ kangaroo launches vicious attack on cyclists in South Australia

--------------------

+Quote Post
scoobyliscious
post May 31 2016, 09:36 PM
Post #249

Ambassador of Grandiose Vision & Pomposity
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,142

QUOTE (PTC @ May 29 2016, 02:24 PM) *
And another thing.

Tell your people that it's not wise for their kids to be playing with gorillas. angry.gif

(I tried, I really, really tried to resist the urge to respond. But I am weak. So, so weak)

Typical Scoobs post: completely offtopic.gif and long. Enjoy biggrin.gif

A few things here:
  1. It's not actually that hard to climb the "fence" at one part of the exhibit. I've looked over some reports and the basics are that the kid climbed a "wall" that isn't much over my waist, if that. A determined kid could probably get there in a minute, if that, or about the time it takes for a parent to be distracted with a picture. (full disclosure: I hate pictures, especially as the gift shop has postcards with better pictures than your phone is going to take and your picture gets in the way of my enjoyment of the exhibit, but that's probably a different rant. The point was: people take pictures and the kid could easily have made a break for it in that amount of time.) Oh, and he fell into the moat that separates people from exhibit, which is a good 15 feet high.
  2. People hating on the parents online = not helping. Sure, we all agree they should be responsible, but complaining online doesn't actually help anybody. Not Harambe, who will remain dead. Not the parents, who don't need your input to realize what a huge mistake has been made. And not the Zoo, who made a difficult decision and lost a lot of money (fine: earning potential, as Harambe could potentially have benefited the Zoo through stud fees or by fathering children to be sold to other zoos throughout the world).
  3. You want to help? Go online and donate to the Zoo. Especially because we've had problems renewing / passing taxes to support the Zoo which, while a popular attraction in the area, is swimming against the tide of, to paraphrase the pithy bumper stickers, "patriots who have been taxed enough." Frankly: it's that kind of country 'round these parts and every little bit helps.
  4. For the record: the Cincinnati Zoo is among the world's leading zoos. We may lack the media presence of our northern "neighbors" in Columbus, who have Jack Hanna, but those people "in the know" recognize that we rank right up there with San Diego and the National Zoo, particularly for our efforts in breeding of endangered animals. One of my favorite random lectures I have ever attended included a monologue from one of our finest zookeeper's discussing collecting Rhinoceros sperm in the wild using "old-fashioned" techniques, i.e. a Rhino hand-job, on a tranquilized animal. Somehow, I've heard that speech more than once. And yes, it's hilarious every time.
  5. Really not helping? "Activists" who want to criminally charge the zoo itself. Or claim there wasn't a reason to shoot Harambe. I don't want a dead gorilla, either (frankly: he's more rare and valuable than your child, but that's easy for those of us without children to say), but Harambe was definitely endangering that child (seriously: have you heard the description from Thane Maynard about having watched Harambe crush a coconut with one hand? And he was dragging the kid around, not "holding him by the hand" as I saw some idiot put it). In a "who gets to live" decision between animal and human (and don't fool yourself: one of them was going to die), I'm fairly certain we should choose "human" every time. Doesn't make Harambe's death any less tragic. Just means the Zoo itself made the correct call once the situation reached a certain point.
  6. Can't emphasize enough: most of the Zoos and Zookeepers I know (and I have a good friend who works at the Cincinnati Zoo) are doing more to help animals, especially those who are endangered by our collective indifference, than all the bleating of these so-called "Activists" living in their nice air-conditioned homes. Such "Activists" probably want more done about the potential damage from the Zika virus through mosquito control programs, but the mosquitos that carry the danger aren't cute and furry. Bloody species-ists.
  7. Returning to the exhibit: it was, when built, pretty revolutionary, as it was among the first "natural setting" enclosures, in contrast to the "bad old days" of animals in small cages behind bars. And it's worked a treat for 30+ years or so.
  8. In conclusion: Don't just take your child to your Zoo. Interact with him or her. Educate him or her. Spend time reading the informative materials to your children. Help them understand that wild animals are, well, wild. Help them understand our responsibility to be good stewards of these animals and the entire planet. Impress upon them a curiosity to explore how we can be better custodians of our world. Who knows? You might even learn a thing or two yourself.

--------------------
I used to stay out late and try to walk the Muse home. Now I get up fresh-faced at 7 a.m. and take advantage of her while she's passing out.
-Bono

+Quote Post
PTC
post May 31 2016, 10:34 PM
Post #250

Advanced Member
Group Icon

Let me know when the parents decide to file suit against the zoo.

It's just a matter of time..

+Quote Post
BRFC
post Jun 20 2016, 12:57 PM
Post #251

King of Sheep
Group Icon

QUOTE (scoobyliscious @ May 31 2016, 11:36 PM) *
(I tried, I really, really tried to resist the urge to respond. But I am weak. So, so weak)

Typical Scoobs post: completely offtopic.gif and long. Enjoy biggrin.gif

A few things here:
  1. It's not actually that hard to climb the "fence" at one part of the exhibit. I've looked over some reports and the basics are that the kid climbed a "wall" that isn't much over my waist, if that. A determined kid could probably get there in a minute, if that, or about the time it takes for a parent to be distracted with a picture. (full disclosure: I hate pictures, especially as the gift shop has postcards with better pictures than your phone is going to take and your picture gets in the way of my enjoyment of the exhibit, but that's probably a different rant. The point was: people take pictures and the kid could easily have made a break for it in that amount of time.) Oh, and he fell into the moat that separates people from exhibit, which is a good 15 feet high.
  2. People hating on the parents online = not helping. Sure, we all agree they should be responsible, but complaining online doesn't actually help anybody. Not Harambe, who will remain dead. Not the parents, who don't need your input to realize what a huge mistake has been made. And not the Zoo, who made a difficult decision and lost a lot of money (fine: earning potential, as Harambe could potentially have benefited the Zoo through stud fees or by fathering children to be sold to other zoos throughout the world).
  3. You want to help? Go online and donate to the Zoo. Especially because we've had problems renewing / passing taxes to support the Zoo which, while a popular attraction in the area, is swimming against the tide of, to paraphrase the pithy bumper stickers, "patriots who have been taxed enough." Frankly: it's that kind of country 'round these parts and every little bit helps.
  4. For the record: the Cincinnati Zoo is among the world's leading zoos. We may lack the media presence of our northern "neighbors" in Columbus, who have Jack Hanna, but those people "in the know" recognize that we rank right up there with San Diego and the National Zoo, particularly for our efforts in breeding of endangered animals. One of my favorite random lectures I have ever attended included a monologue from one of our finest zookeeper's discussing collecting Rhinoceros sperm in the wild using "old-fashioned" techniques, i.e. a Rhino hand-job, on a tranquilized animal. Somehow, I've heard that speech more than once. And yes, it's hilarious every time.
  5. Really not helping? "Activists" who want to criminally charge the zoo itself. Or claim there wasn't a reason to shoot Harambe. I don't want a dead gorilla, either (frankly: he's more rare and valuable than your child, but that's easy for those of us without children to say), but Harambe was definitely endangering that child (seriously: have you heard the description from Thane Maynard about having watched Harambe crush a coconut with one hand? And he was dragging the kid around, not "holding him by the hand" as I saw some idiot put it). In a "who gets to live" decision between animal and human (and don't fool yourself: one of them was going to die), I'm fairly certain we should choose "human" every time. Doesn't make Harambe's death any less tragic. Just means the Zoo itself made the correct call once the situation reached a certain point.
  6. Can't emphasize enough: most of the Zoos and Zookeepers I know (and I have a good friend who works at the Cincinnati Zoo) are doing more to help animals, especially those who are endangered by our collective indifference, than all the bleating of these so-called "Activists" living in their nice air-conditioned homes. Such "Activists" probably want more done about the potential damage from the Zika virus through mosquito control programs, but the mosquitos that carry the danger aren't cute and furry. Bloody species-ists.
  7. Returning to the exhibit: it was, when built, pretty revolutionary, as it was among the first "natural setting" enclosures, in contrast to the "bad old days" of animals in small cages behind bars. And it's worked a treat for 30+ years or so.
  8. In conclusion: Don't just take your child to your Zoo. Interact with him or her. Educate him or her. Spend time reading the informative materials to your children. Help them understand that wild animals are, well, wild. Help them understand our responsibility to be good stewards of these animals and the entire planet. Impress upon them a curiosity to explore how we can be better custodians of our world. Who knows? You might even learn a thing or two yourself.

clapping.gif

Back on topic: Velogames is up biggrin.gif

League Name: Le tour d'S11
League Code: 562013045714

+Quote Post
PTC
post Jun 21 2016, 07:47 PM
Post #252

Advanced Member
Group Icon

QUOTE (BRFC @ Jun 20 2016, 08:57 AM) *

I might do this one.

As usual, I'll wait for the NBC one.

+Quote Post
broadview
post Jun 21 2016, 10:13 PM
Post #253

Advanced Member

QUOTE (BRFC @ Jun 20 2016, 08:57 AM) *
clapping.gif

Really early, I am sure they will need to keep revising it as the team rosters fill up. I'll be there. cool.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
PTC
post Jun 24 2016, 08:49 AM
Post #254

Advanced Member
Group Icon

So who wins?

Surely between Froome and Quintana.

Any other serious challengers?

This post has been edited by PTC: Jun 24 2016, 11:21 PM

+Quote Post
BRFC
post Jun 25 2016, 01:18 PM
Post #255

King of Sheep
Group Icon

QUOTE (PTC @ Jun 24 2016, 10:49 AM) *
So who wins?

Surely between Froome and Quintana.

Any other serious challengers?

No.

+Quote Post
broadview
post Jun 30 2016, 06:52 PM
Post #256

Advanced Member

Getting worrisome now. Less than 48 hours and NBC still doesn't have their game up. The link is on their cycling page but if you sign in you get last year's results. unsure.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
PTC
post Jun 30 2016, 11:02 PM
Post #257

Advanced Member
Group Icon

QUOTE (broadview @ Jun 30 2016, 02:52 PM) *
Getting worrisome now. Less than 48 hours and NBC still doesn't have their game up. The link is on their cycling page but if you sign in you get last year's results. unsure.gif

Every year we panic, and every year it starts on time. biggrin.gif

I do hope it returns because I like the format.

It'd be nice to find a game where we can use a couple of transfers in case one of our big guns falls off early in the race.

+Quote Post
BRFC
post Jul 1 2016, 07:35 AM
Post #258

King of Sheep
Group Icon

QUOTE (PTC @ Jul 1 2016, 01:02 AM) *
Every year we panic, and every year it starts on time. biggrin.gif

I do hope it returns because I like the format.

It'd be nice to find a game where we can use a couple of transfers in case one of our big guns falls off early in the race.

Aaaaaaand it's back biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
PTC
post Jul 1 2016, 05:52 PM
Post #259

Advanced Member
Group Icon

The NBC game.

Group Name: S11 TDF 2016
Password: pancakes

The word just popped into my head. biggrin.gif

I'll add my sprint team now. The rest will follow in due course.

Remember, the first 4 stages don't count. Just for fun.

+Quote Post
PTC
post Jul 1 2016, 06:15 PM
Post #260

Advanced Member
Group Icon

I've got my eye on the first prize for stage 16.

Pickle Juice Product.

No idea what it is, but I want it.

+Quote Post

37 Pages V  « < 11 12 13 14 15 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th August 2018 - 07:23 AM