> Italy, Travel Suggestions?
scoobyliscious
post Feb 28 2017, 04:51 PM
Post #1

Ambassador of Grandiose Vision & Pomposity
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 1,142

So, my wife's cousin works for a company that regularly sends him to Pescara, Italy. The wife & I are traveling to meet him there, leaving on Thursday, March 1, 2017 and arriving in Rome on Friday (it's the only decent flight from me to Italy), heading to Florence for Saturday and most of Sunday (via car - it's nice to meet someone local-ish), spending time with the family and some true "local" flavor in Pescara while the Cousin heads to work and then ending with a few more days in Rome.

We figure to do the tourist-ey things, like walk the Forum/Colosseum/Palatine ruins, spend a day at St. Peter's Basilica and the Vatican Museums, check out David and the rest of the Renaissance in Florence.

Anybody have anything non-touristey that we should try, or anything that we absolutely shouldn't miss our first time?

--------------------
I used to stay out late and try to walk the Muse home. Now I get up fresh-faced at 7 a.m. and take advantage of her while she's passing out.
-Bono
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
PTC
post Feb 28 2017, 07:55 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member
Group Icon

Group: Patron
Member No.: 2,846

QUOTE (scoobyliscious @ Feb 28 2017, 11:51 AM) *
So, my wife's cousin works for a company that regularly sends him to Pescara, Italy. The wife & I are traveling to meet him there, leaving on Thursday, March 1, 2017 and arriving in Rome on Friday (it's the only decent flight from me to Italy), heading to Florence for Saturday and most of Sunday (via car - it's nice to meet someone local-ish), spending time with the family and some true "local" flavor in Pescara while the Cousin heads to work and then ending with a few more days in Rome.

We figure to do the tourist-ey things, like walk the Forum/Colosseum/Palatine ruins, spend a day at St. Peter's Basilica and the Vatican Museums, check out David and the rest of the Renaissance in Florence.

Anybody have anything non-touristey that we should try, or anything that we absolutely shouldn't miss our first time?

I'll help you with the non-Rome bits.

From Rome to Florence you'll likely go via E35. Definitely make time for Orvieto, about halfway, and maybe Siena.

On the way back, perhaps detour and take the (sort of) coastal road, E80 or be brave and wander the Tuscany backroads.

If time allows, you have to get to Pisa, a bit west of Florence. Gotta do the touristy thing sometimes.

+Quote Post
RAPID
post Mar 1 2017, 01:26 AM
Post #3

✟ CARPE ✟ DIEM ✟
Group Icon

Member No.: 7,943

QUOTE (PTC @ Feb 28 2017, 10:55 PM) *
be brave and wander the Tuscany backroads.

It's a football site!!! Be brave? Always use your legs while travelling! wink.gif

--------------------
Mané, Mané, Mané
Must be funny ☺️
In the Rich man's world
Mané, Mané, Mané
Always sunny ☀️
In Richarlison's world

★★★★★★★★★★★★★
“RAPID scores goals like Marco van Basten(PTC)
“RAPID is the Magical Negro whose special powers make us all better at Fantasy Footie”(scoobyliscious)

+Quote Post
the_juice
post Mar 1 2017, 07:48 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,662

If you want to have a nice lunch by the sea and you have a car while in Roma, drive 25 minutes west on Via Colombo rd and you will hit Ostia. Ostia has lots of great patios where you can eat at fair value.

This post has been edited by the_juice: Mar 1 2017, 07:53 AM

+Quote Post
PTC
post Mar 1 2017, 10:07 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member
Group Icon

QUOTE (the_juice @ Mar 1 2017, 02:48 AM) *
If you want to have a nice lunch by the sea and you have a car while in Roma, drive 25 minutes west on Via Colombo rd and you will hit Ostia. Ostia has lots of great patios where you can eat at fair value.

You're directing him towards the nudist beach, aren't you? Subtle. wink.gif

+Quote Post
scoobyliscious
post Mar 2 2017, 03:05 PM
Post #6

Group Icon

QUOTE (PTC @ Mar 1 2017, 05:07 PM) *
You're directing him towards the nudist beach, aren't you? Subtle. wink.gif

No worries. I'm a child of the summer, so Wild 'n' Free is fine by me smile.gif Doubt the wife will feel the same, but I'm sure the 28 year old single guy will be in

Hopefully we have some time to wander. Thanks for all the suggestions

--------------------
I used to stay out late and try to walk the Muse home. Now I get up fresh-faced at 7 a.m. and take advantage of her while she's passing out.
-Bono

+Quote Post
scoobyliscious
post Mar 13 2017, 04:08 PM
Post #7

Group Icon

Once again: thanks to everyone for their suggestions. I can't recommend the Firenze / Roma Renaissance-through-Baroque double enough. Between the art and the food, my brain was in a pretty constant state of overload. The list of "things I have to see before I die" has several new checkmarks on it.

QUOTE (PTC @ Feb 28 2017, 03:55 PM) *
I'll help you with the non-Rome bits.

From Rome to Florence you'll likely go via E35. Definitely make time for Orvieto, about halfway, and maybe Siena.

On the way back, perhaps detour and take the (sort of) coastal road, E80 or be brave and wander the Tuscany backroads.

If time allows, you have to get to Pisa, a bit west of Florence. Gotta do the touristy thing sometimes.

We did take the E35, but the Florence leg of things was particularly tight on time, because we had to get back to Pescara on Sunday evening, to allow The Cousin to make it to work on Monday morning. So, Saturday we hit the Accademia (David, in all his glory), spent an hour staring at the ceiling of the Duomo's Baptistery and headed out for our first of many fantastic dinners (I had my favorite: the lamb). Sunday we started with the Duomo museum (good), then hit the Uffizi (fantastic) on the first Sunday of the month when it is free. The Uffizi is so large, and so good, that we spent so much time there and were left without time to wander. On the plus side, it was already dark when we passed Orvieto on the road, allowing us to see the town lit dramatically by spotlight - it does look spectacular.

QUOTE (RAPID @ Feb 28 2017, 09:26 PM) *
It's a football site!!! Be brave? Always use your legs while travelling! wink.gif

More solid advice and we certainly did a lot of walking. The Wife has one of those fitness watch things, and we were averaging about 25,000 steps on days we were active (we had a couple of rest days: one planned and one due to a complete rain out).

QUOTE (the_juice @ Mar 1 2017, 03:48 AM) *

Unfortunately, we were bereft of a car in Roma itself. Basically: the car came with The Cousin, who was only available for Florence / Pescara. Which, of course, also explains the massive amounts of walking we did when we were active.

Also, after taking a day off, we went out to Michelin-starred restaurant in Pescara, Taverna 58 (I had the mutton, and we split the charcuterie antipasti, which was outstanding). When we stepped outside, I noticed some graffiti, which I attribute to a certain someone on this site:

I was also told (but who knows how true the story is) that this particular gesture, a.k.a. "rock on" has a slightly different meaning in the Abruzzi region, where it is a gesture literally translated as "while you are traveling, your wife is at home sleeping with the Devil." Take that as you will, then.

Once we were back in Roma, we purchased a Roma Pass (allows you to skip some lines) and hit the "highlights":
  • Colosseum / Palatine Hill
  • A bus tour of the city at night, including a quick walk to the Trevi Fountain, view of the Colosseum at night (pretty lights), drive past the Circus Maximus and a few of the other piazzas around
  • A second tour of the Vatican Museum / Sistine Chapel / St. Peter's Basilica (too quick for my tastes, but it was really nice to zip past the entrance line with the Group
  • The Borghese Museum, with an "oops, we forgot to make reservations and have some time" walk to and through the National Museum of Modern Art (it was really nice to see things that weren't an Adoration or Annunciation)
  • Shopping (happy Wife = happy Life, right?)

As I stated several times while there: I could spend a week in Roma just traveling to various Churches to view the architecture. And while we walked past The Pantheon, we didn't stop and take a look (we were in the process of accidently walking back from the Vatican; I had planned to take the Metro and save my legs, but The Wife said "I want to go there" which meant I thought she was in charge of navigation, and she thought I was still in charge, so we ended up in a "dead zone" where we may as well just walk back to our hotel). Always leave them wanting more, though, amIright?

Fortunately, we tossed 3 coins into the Trevi Fountain, so, hopefully, we will return to the Eternal City some day to see and eat even more.

--------------------
-Bono

+Quote Post
RAPID
post Mar 13 2017, 04:56 PM
Post #8

✟ CARPE ✟ DIEM ✟
Group Icon

QUOTE (scoobyliscious @ Mar 13 2017, 07:08 PM) *
happy Wife = happy Life, right?

no Wife = happy Life!!! laugh.gif

--------------------
Mané, Mané, Mané
Must be funny ☺️
In the Rich man's world
Mané, Mané, Mané
Always sunny ☀️
In Richarlison's world

★★★★★★★★★★★★★
“RAPID is the Magical Negro whose special powers make us all better at Fantasy Footie”(scoobyliscious)

+Quote Post
crazylegs
post Mar 13 2017, 05:12 PM
Post #9

Sodalis Extraordinaire!

Member No.: 6,379

Sounds like you had a great trip! thumbsup.gif

Trust PTC he gets everywhere rolleyes.gif

--------------------

WCGrid
I'm not grouchy by nature, it takes constant effort!

S11 Arena Champion 2017/18 with Renegades!
S11 Arena League Champion of the season 2016/17
S11 Arena Champion 2011/12 with Dexters!

+Quote Post
PTC
post Mar 13 2017, 06:39 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member
Group Icon

I've never been there. It wasn't me. Honest. whistling.gif

You will always never have enough time when visting Italy. And you're right about the churches. They're all beautiful and/or interesting in their own way.

+Quote Post
WALOR
post Mar 13 2017, 08:14 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 7,728

For any cycling fans going to Italy, near Bellagio on Lake Como is a church devoted to the patron saint of cycling:

https://sicycle.wordpress.com/2012/11/12/a-...a-del-ghisallo/

If you have a bike, it's a great ride up from the lake.

--------------------
If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.

FFS Hall of Fame rank 997 ("Roscoe Pound")

+Quote Post
RAPID
post Mar 14 2017, 01:29 AM
Post #12

✟ CARPE ✟ DIEM ✟
Group Icon

QUOTE (PTC @ Mar 13 2017, 09:39 PM) *
You will always never have enough time when visting Italy. And you're right about the churches. They're all beautiful and/or interesting in their own way.

Suits every beautiful city... smile.gif

--------------------
Mané, Mané, Mané
Must be funny ☺️
In the Rich man's world
Mané, Mané, Mané
Always sunny ☀️
In Richarlison's world

★★★★★★★★★★★★★

+Quote Post
scoobyliscious
post Mar 14 2017, 02:40 PM
Post #13

Group Icon

QUOTE (PTC @ Mar 13 2017, 02:39 PM) *
I've never been there. It wasn't me. Honest. whistling.gif

If you are looking for a place to go to the beach, Pescara was a good time (again: the food was excellent!). We went to the beach (that picture is on The Wife's phone), but, to quote George Costanza, "the sea was angry that day, my friends." I was told that the entire town is a bit more fitness-crazed than many, precisely because it is a beach town and everyone wants to look good when almost naked. Full disclosure: the eye candy wasn't bad. It was too cold to even test the water, but the beach itself looked nice, sandy and reasonably-sized, all while being right off the center of town (and the best cappuccino we had on vacation was the bar that you would walk to off the beach). Looked like they had decent berths for boats, as well, if you wanted to head out for a fishing adventure.

Someone also definitely decided to use your moniker. I noticed the same tag at several different places around town. I think you need to get an international trademark. I mean, we all know who is the True Original here, right?

--------------------
-Bono

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th October 2018 - 03:25 AM