Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Brexit, Vent Your Spleen!
Netley Lucas
post Mar 22 2019, 05:04 PM
Post #481

The Fall

Group: Members
Member No.: 44,432

As the Gov prepares for indicative votes on alternative options the Brexiteer mood darkens significantly. Is this just the latest plan to coax them to back her deal or is this reality, a Remain Parliament taking back control?

No doubt some Brexiteers think the former but I sense this is for real, Brexit is sliding down the drain and the best option is to hold noses, back her deal and then get rid of her by withdrawing all support, she'd have to go. We saw last night how the EU took control of Brexit, they stopped a No Deal Brexit, effectively we got owned.

The numbers look grim but could improve if she quit after a win, it could get it over the line still but she is now the blockage, as Fraser Nelson puts it;

If Mrs Mays deal is voted down again, Parliament could name its preferred form of Brexit. Then at the last minute Brussels would reveal the terms under which it will grant Britain an extension. They would be quickly approved by nervous MPs. It would be the EU that ends up taking back control.

There is an alternative ending to this story. That Brexiteers vote through her (bad) deal, recognising it as the best platform from which to fight for something better. This would be the end: of these talks, at least. A new phase would begin, aimed at securing a trade deal before the general election so no time to waste. Mrs May then says these new talks need a new leader, so she would go gracefully, thanked for her extraordinary strength, stamina and sense of public duty. She would have completed phase one and kept her party together. Just.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Netley Lucas
post Mar 29 2019, 05:47 PM
Post #482

The Fall

MP's are becoming very good at voting against things but that will (have to) change on Monday. The EU is looking for an(y) excuse to extend 'the process' and a majority on one of these indicative votes should be enough. It will not be good for Brexiteers, CU or Ref11 are now staring them in the face. Yes the default position is still No Deal but only the hardest of the hard nuts believe that's still likely. May clings grimly on, the walking dead, she needs to go asap and get the Tories a Brexit believer up top fast, because the way things are going Jezzer will get his way and... an election! ohmy.gif

+Quote Post
Netley Lucas
post Apr 4 2019, 09:55 AM
Post #483

The Fall

All hopes of a proper Brexit are almost gone as the tone turns to CU and RefII despite neither commanding a majority. Once again MP's seem able to say what they don't want, and even then only just. Jezzer seems in control and can define where this goes, an even bigger mess would suit him, he will not help the Tories.

From a Brexit pov the best way forward seems to be to stomach the short-term pain, take a long delay, get shot of May, have an election and try to get a Tory majority with a Leaver up top and rebuild the story, properly this time.

A CU may sound sensible but remember it suits the EU much more than the UK, as our whopping goods deficit proves. It's not a real Brexit, we cannot do indy deals, rule taking only.

RefII has an air of a Remain win, that's why they want it! They could be right but then again what if they're wrong again? Is there any political will left to do what a Leave public wants or would it be the same story?

May remains the blockage but only when the fear of her exceeds the fear of Jezzer will they do the right thing... we're getting close.

+Quote Post
Netley Lucas
post Apr 11 2019, 04:16 AM
Post #484

The Fall

End Oct is better than a year for sure, thanks Macron! laugh.gif

The task now is to get shot of May bloody fast before she inevitably forces Remain on us by stealth. Yes the talk will be (too conveniently) of No Deal being a reality but I don't trust anyone currently involved to have the guts to take us out on WTO terms, that needs leadership, we have none... yet.

The Remain Trick

Make sure a Remain Parliament has the final say

Make sure there's no majority for any deal

Make sure there's only 2 options left, No Deal or No Brexit

Make sure a No Deal Brexit cannot happen

The ONLY option remaining is... REMAIN!

This post has been edited by Netley Lucas: Apr 11 2019, 04:23 AM

+Quote Post
Netley Lucas
post Apr 11 2019, 05:55 AM
Post #485

The Fall

Macron's really annoyed the Germans, they wanted the long one and he vetoed it. The pretense of unity has been well and truly shattered, just imagine if we had a Brexiteer in there instead of May! Macron helping us to Leave? I sense it wouldn't take much more to tip him over the edge. ohmy.gif

+Quote Post
tigerjames
post Apr 11 2019, 12:15 PM
Post #486

autre ne veux
Group Icon

Group: Patron
Member No.: 2,222

Shame, a real shame and shameless

--------------------

Tigerjames
Best Yahoo Finish 19th(12/13) & 33rd(14/15)

Best Sky fantasy football finish 31st (14/15)

Best Metro fantasy football finish 11th(11/12)
"alien2005" Simply the Best
HELP STARTING 11

+Quote Post
scoobyliscious
post Apr 11 2019, 01:49 PM
Post #487

Ambassador of Grandiose Vision & Pomposity
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 1,142

No love for the Sudanese, finally figuring out how to rid themselves of Omar Al-Bashir, in a little Omexit? Bashirexit? Bashexit? On the heels of ousting Bouteflika in Algeria?

Sure, it's no Brexit, but it's definitely a celebration of the power of the people to define their own rule. Assuming, of course, that "what comes next" are elections, and not just more dictatorial army regimes (and we all know that's, at best, a 50/50 proposition)

Now, to find the little redacted for language and charge him for the longstanding atrocities of Darfur.

I have to admit: my list of power-hungry little redacted for language dictators I want gone from our collective conscious is growing shorter: 2017 Mugabe and now Al-Bashir. It's a good day for humanity. Long may it continue.

(Sorry - probably wasn't the best place to post this, but it is the only real political thread we have)

--------------------
I used to stay out late and try to walk the Muse home. Now I get up fresh-faced at 7 a.m. and take advantage of her while she's passing out.
-Bono

+Quote Post
BRFC
post Apr 11 2019, 02:28 PM
Post #488

King of Sheep
Group Icon

Member No.: 4,598

QUOTE (scoobyliscious @ Apr 11 2019, 03:49 PM) *
No love for the Sudanese, finally figuring out how to rid themselves of Omar Al-Bashir, in a little Omexit? Bashirexit? Bashexit? On the heels of ousting Bouteflika in Algeria?

Sure, it's no Brexit, but it's definitely a celebration of the power of the people to define their own rule. Assuming, of course, that "what comes next" are elections, and not just more dictatorial army regimes (and we all know that's, at best, a 50/50 proposition)

Now, to find the little redacted for language and charge him for the longstanding atrocities of Darfur.

I have to admit: my list of power-hungry little redacted for language dictators I want gone from our collective conscious is growing shorter: 2017 Mugabe and now Al-Bashir. It's a good day for humanity. Long may it continue.

(Sorry - probably wasn't the best place to post this, but it is the only real political thread we have)

Well, if there's anything to put Brexit in the right perspective it's the atrocities committed by these power hungry despots. I'm all for it. And keeping my fingers crossed this won't end in tears and (another) civil war.

+Quote Post
scoobyliscious
post Apr 11 2019, 03:14 PM
Post #489

Ambassador of Grandiose Vision & Pomposity
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,142

QUOTE (BRFC @ Apr 11 2019, 10:28 AM) *
Well, if there's anything to put Brexit in the right perspective it's the atrocities committed by these power hungry despots. I'm all for it. And keeping my fingers crossed this won't end in tears and (another) civil war.

It's a little too similar to the "Arab Spring" in which despots were overthrown (well, except for Syria), but the "what's next" varied by country, including some truly awful outcomes (see: Yemen, ongoing conflict or Egypt, current conflict in Libya, bin Salman's consolidation of power in Saudi Arabia and subsequent oppression under the guise of expanding rights e.g. for women) but some places seem to have done well, such as Tunisia or Jordan.

So, mixed bag.

But, at least it's out with the old Oppression and hail to our new Overlords (who are not yet robotic, but we all know that's going to happen soon, too wink.gif )

--------------------
I used to stay out late and try to walk the Muse home. Now I get up fresh-faced at 7 a.m. and take advantage of her while she's passing out.
-Bono

+Quote Post
Netley Lucas
post Apr 11 2019, 03:43 PM
Post #490

The Fall

QUOTE (scoobyliscious @ Apr 11 2019, 02:49 PM) *

It would appear inflation (bread trebling) was the final straw. Let's just hope this is not simply a like-for-like and that good governance can be established. There are many examples of People Power that have not benefited the people, some will argue Brexit is already one despite it not having happened... yet.

+Quote Post
Netley Lucas
post Apr 11 2019, 03:55 PM
Post #491

The Fall

QUOTE (tigerjames @ Apr 11 2019, 01:15 PM) *
Shame, a real shame and shameless

If we are ever going to have a Brexit the Tories must get rid of May asap because she will drive us to Remain because she has not got the guts or the desire to have us leave on WTO terms. Only a leader who can put what Merkel least wants to the EU can get Brexit. Let's be clear, Merkel wants us to stay and would have let us have 5 years to make sure we stay, those German cars need to be bought by someone. laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Netley Lucas
post Apr 19 2019, 07:15 PM
Post #492

The Fall

Extinction Rebellion are playing a blinder aren't they? Yes you can see many if not all are Remainers but that's rather tenuous isn't it? Remain perfectly peaceful and friendly, engage the police with banter and fun and they know they will not be treated robustly. They know the law well, they've had good advice, parents lawyers maybe?

Their aims appear somewhat ambitions, a cynic would say downright impossible thus lies but being someone who's never driven, never flown and is probably greener than 99% of ER I do have some sympathy with them. Can someone of the right of centre really be green? Of course they can! But ER's problem is they're overtly lefty demos simply alienates them to both centre and right of centre... they must engage properly and stop being silly.

+Quote Post
crazylegs
post Apr 19 2019, 08:32 PM
Post #493

Sodalis Extraordinaire!

Member No.: 6,379

QUOTE (Netley Lucas @ Apr 11 2019, 04:55 PM) *
If we are ever going to have a Brexit the Tories must get rid of May asap because she will drive us to Remain because she has not got the guts or the desire to have us leave on WTO terms. Only a leader who can put what Merkel least wants to the EU can get Brexit. Let's be clear, Merkel wants us to stay and would have let us have 5 years to make sure we stay, those German cars need to be bought by someone. laugh.gif

We needed to send Dennis and the auf wiedersehen boys over, there'd have sorted it laugh.gif

--------------------

WCGrid
I'm not grouchy by nature, it takes constant effort!

S11 Arena Champion 2017/18 with Renegades!
S11 Arena League Champion of the season 2016/17
S11 Arena Champion 2011/12 with Dexters!

+Quote Post
WALOR
post Yesterday, 03:00 AM
Post #494

Advanced Member

Member No.: 7,728

QUOTE (scoobyliscious @ Apr 11 2019, 09:49 AM) *

When we get rid of Merkel, THEN men can breathe free once more

--------------------
If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.

FFS Hall of Fame rank 997 ("Roscoe Pound")

+Quote Post

25 Pages V  « < 23 24 25
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st April 2019 - 11:12 PM