> Brexit, Vent Your Spleen!
Netley Lucas
post Yesterday, 11:28 PM
Post #381

The Fall

Group: Members
Member No.: 44,432

QUOTE (scoobyliscious @ Feb 21 2019, 10:21 PM) *
Been a slow day at work, so I'll put in a quick word (waiting on your next missive - this is really fun!) ...

I guess I wasn't as clear as I should have been: behavior, writ large, can and does change (for the record: I probably would have gone with abolishing slavery, since you (England / UK) got there before we (the States) did, but there's a long history of abolition / re-enslavement, at least if you look on Wikipedia).

I was trying to speak more of people's motivations and less of their outcomes.

Note, however, the underlying behavior of human beings doesn't really change much.

Let's take your example: Humans often become addicted. The individual behavior doesn't change. Maybe the addiction (substance, sex, whatever) does, but the propensity for it hasn't really changed much, if at all (again: we probably have more information about the behavior, but that doesn't mean the underlying motivation or its prevalence, has changed; only our knowledge).

Speaking of knowledge: that's exactly what changed: we (the collective "we" of humanity) embarked upon an educational program that was able to change specific behavior, based upon an increase in knowledge across a population.

Which means the reason the "extremes" (or principles) aren't seen as valued any more (not sure where that statement comes from, because I certainly live in a society where "principles" seem like they are more, and not less, important. See: RINO, or Republican In Name Only; and the Democrats are moving further left, toward more "principles" as well), precisely because an entrenched position does not require facts, or fact-seeking, to validate it. Moreover, such positions ignore new information when it does not fit with one's established "principles."

Whether such principles are or aren't validated, though, it's the inflexibility of the position, in the face of (seemingly) overwhelming evidence that grates. Which means principles, writ large, also grate.

Smoking is an interesting behaviour because it is reduced in rich countries but rises is poor ones. Clearly the richer countries are more able to apply punitive taxes, health promotion and regulatory disincentives. Vaping can be a substitute that appears to have some benefits but I'm not too sure there's an equivalent substitute once off nicotine completely? It's not as if you quit then you become a drinker is it? Or take-up drugs? It's almost as if once you quit the feel-good factor becomes the substitute as you can live longer, run, taste, have more money and better sex and cough less. There does not appear to be a lurch down or sideways in other words, once you quit it properly, it's up.

I was wondering when overwhelming evidence would be brought to the table of principles. laugh.gif

Right at the start of this thread I spoke of experts and their overwhelming evidence so we must be careful when attributing certain evidence to Political decisions and elevating it to fact from merely Propaganda.

What I mean is the right of centre who's philosophy is that you tax less but provide a safety net and encourage the people to prosper and the left of centre who tax more and regard 15k a year as poverty. Now to me both are principled but go about it in a different way and are equally noble and honest in their beliefs yet are seen as outsiders in the court of the middle ground political classes who seem at a loss to engage with the people who are actually at the principled edges.

Perhaps this is a reason Brexit confounded this middle, lack of engagement, lack of understanding... lack of honesty?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Netley Lucas
post Yesterday, 11:58 PM
Post #382

The Fall

Group: Members
Member No.: 44,432

Mind you Scooby, I see Larry David is standing again! laugh.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

20 Pages V  « < 18 19 20
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd February 2019 - 07:33 AM