Netley Lucas
post Jul 26 2019, 07:48 AM
Post #501

The Fall

Group: Members
Member No.: 44,432

QUOTE (WALOR @ Jul 25 2019, 04:51 AM) *
So what do you make of Boris then?

I read a lot about him being totally unsuitable but can't help thinking all the suitable PM's since Blair have been a bit rubbish. I mean Pitt the Younger and Churchill wouldn't have been seen as suitable by the chattering classes would they? Anyway he ripped Jezzer a new one and seemed to hit the ground running and has already riled EU bosses so that's a good start. Bringing non-political Leave strategist Dom Cummings in as adviser looks a good move as is JRM as Leader of the House. Critics note it's 'very right wing' but this is a bit of a trope given he's sacked some key Leavers and is even looking at an amnesty for illegal immigrants who've been here for 10+ years and chief whip is hardly right wing, neither is Cummings... and neither is Boris. Early doors, good start, hard yards to go though.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
WALOR
post Jul 26 2019, 02:02 PM
Post #502

Advanced Member

Member No.: 7,728

QUOTE (Netley Lucas @ Jul 26 2019, 03:48 AM) *
I read a lot about him being totally unsuitable but can't help thinking all the suitable PM's since Blair have been a bit rubbish. I mean Pitt the Younger and Churchill wouldn't have been seen as suitable by the chattering classes would they? Anyway he ripped Jezzer a new one and seemed to hit the ground running and has already riled EU bosses so that's a good start. Bringing non-political Leave strategist Dom Cummings in as adviser looks a good move as is JRM as Leader of the House. Critics note it's 'very right wing' but this is a bit of a trope given he's sacked some key Leavers and is even looking at an amnesty for illegal immigrants who've been here for 10+ years and chief whip is hardly right wing, neither is Cummings... and neither is Boris. Early doors, good start, hard yards to go though.

Pissing off all the right people is a good start

--------------------
If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.

FFS Hall of Fame rank 997 ("Roscoe Pound")

+Quote Post
Netley Lucas
post Aug 2 2019, 03:59 AM
Post #503

The Fall

Dom is in the house, this is a guy who gets things done. Any views?

+Quote Post
WALOR
post Aug 2 2019, 09:21 PM
Post #504

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Netley Lucas @ Aug 1 2019, 11:59 PM) *

Dom is in the house, this is a guy who gets things done. Any views?

You sure that's not Moby?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Netley Lucas
post Aug 3 2019, 04:58 AM
Post #505

The Fall

QUOTE (WALOR @ Aug 2 2019, 10:21 PM) *
You sure that's not Moby?

They both have that thing laugh.gif Arseholes or lack of hair? Both? laugh.gif Same place laugh.gif

Is Dom going to help Boris get things done? I am more optimistic right now but the opposition to Brexit & Boris is reaching madness and derangement so I will wait and see. The people v the Establishment, it's a cultural thing and funnily enough the Left are squeeming because they picked the wrong fight. biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Netley Lucas
post Aug 28 2019, 09:40 AM
Post #506

The Fall

Brexiteers rejoicing, prorogation expected from 11th Sept.

+Quote Post
WALOR
post Aug 28 2019, 03:55 PM
Post #507

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Netley Lucas @ Aug 28 2019, 05:40 AM) *
Brexiteers rejoicing, prorogation expected from 11th Sept.

So what does that mean?
Parliament is suspended while Boris does brexit?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Netley Lucas
post Aug 28 2019, 04:43 PM
Post #508

The Fall

QUOTE (WALOR @ Aug 28 2019, 04:55 PM) *
So what does that mean?
Parliament is suspended while Boris does brexit?

Kind of, reduces the time remainers have to block No Deal making 31 Oct the real Brexit date. Bear in mind the intention is not to leave without a deal but to remove no deal so the EU knows it's a real threat and may deal. All the right people triggered so it's serious, Boris is winning right now. (okay Dom Moby Cummings is winning, again)

+Quote Post
WALOR
post Aug 29 2019, 08:00 PM
Post #509

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Netley Lucas @ Aug 28 2019, 12:43 PM) *
Kind of, reduces the time remainers have to block No Deal making 31 Oct the real Brexit date. Bear in mind the intention is not to leave without a deal but to remove no deal so the EU knows it's a real threat and may deal. All the right people triggered so it's serious, Boris is winning right now. (okay Dom Moby Cummings is winning, again)

I bet Trump would let Boris stash them in Gitmo for a nice sunny holiday until the deal is done

--------------------

+Quote Post
BRFC
post Aug 30 2019, 09:48 AM
Post #510

King of Sheep
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 4,598

QUOTE (Netley Lucas @ Aug 28 2019, 06:43 PM) *

EU new deal won't happen. Britains isn't taking back control, but losing the control they have in the EU. So this is basically it. No deal and good luck with that. I sincerely hope the negative effects don't coincide with an already looming recession. Britain will live of course, but there will be people that will suffer economically without good reason. It's sad to watch these political games when the consequences will most likely be only felt by the much lauded Hard Working comman man. Loads of businesses leaving England to settle over here in the Netherlands according to lobbying business groups. They rejoice, but I think it's all just a sad piece of business. It won't be an outright disaster, but I just don't see many silver linings for the powerless at the moment.

+Quote Post
Netley Lucas
post Aug 30 2019, 10:21 AM
Post #511

The Fall

QUOTE (BRFC @ Aug 30 2019, 10:48 AM) *
EU new deal won't happen. Britains isn't taking back control, but losing the control they have in the EU. So this is basically it. No deal and good luck with that. I sincerely hope the negative effects don't coincide with an already looming recession. Britain will live of course, but there will be people that will suffer economically without good reason. It's sad to watch these political games when the consequences will most likely be only felt by the much lauded Hard Working comman man. Loads of businesses leaving England to settle over here in the Netherlands according to lobbying business groups. They rejoice, but I think it's all just a sad piece of business. It won't be an outright disaster, but I just don't see many silver linings for the powerless at the moment.

I'm not so sure this is correct. Many people are seeing Boris as a no dealer, this is half the tale. He believes the best deal the UK can get is if no deal remains a live option. He's right of course, once you remove it the EU has no incentive neither does Parliament. There's talk of progress at G7 and the language is more temperate, warmer in tone. Something's brewing, Farage is angry, the WA maybe coming back with changes to the backstop. This will test MP's, last chance, deal or no deal. Did you see what Ruth Davidson said after resigning as Tory leader in Scotland, staunch remainer, hates Boris, well worth a read mate.

Noting ex-prime minister Theresa May's repeated failure to get her Brexit deal passed by MPs, Ms Davidson said following her resignation speech: "We had three golden opportunities to support a deal.

"The people right now who are saying they would do anything to avoid no deal had a goal gaping in front of them three times and they hit the ball over the bar."

She dismissed "elaborate plans" by MPs opposed to no deal to collapse the government and install a senior MP - such as Labour's Harriet Harman or ex-Tory minister Ken Clarke - as a caretaker prime minister.

"The simplest way to avoid no deal is to vote for a deal," she said.

"I've never served in the House of Commons, I'm not an aficionado of Erskine May, but my understanding is you can't bring back legislation that's already been voted down.

"So, if it requires a new Queen's Speech to bring back a deal, what I would urge is - to colleagues who want to avoid no deal - vote for a deal.

"You've had three opportunities, you blew every one of them. Don't blow a fourth.

"I know the prime minister is seeking to get a deal, I've had long conversations with him on this point and I believe him when he says he's seeking to get a deal.

"And, please - for those people who are trying to avoid no deal - make it clear, make it clear now that if a deal comes back to the House of Commons, you will vote for it.

"And let the EU hear you say you will vote for it so that there is a reason for them to reopen negotiations."

+Quote Post
BRFC
post Aug 30 2019, 10:43 AM
Post #512

King of Sheep
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 4,598

QUOTE (Netley Lucas @ Aug 30 2019, 12:21 PM) *
I'm not so sure this is correct. Many people are seeing Boris as a no dealer, this is half the tale. He believes the best deal the UK can get is if no deal remains a live option. He's right of course, once you remove it the EU has no incentive neither does Parliament. There's talk of progress at G7 and the language is more temperate, warmer in tone. Something's brewing, Farage is angry, the WA maybe coming back with changes to the backstop. This will test MP's, last chance, deal or no deal. Did you see what Ruth Davidson said after resigning as Tory leader in Scotland, staunch remainer, hates Boris, well worth a read mate.

Noting ex-prime minister Theresa May's repeated failure to get her Brexit deal passed by MPs, Ms Davidson said following her resignation speech: "We had three golden opportunities to support a deal.

"The people right now who are saying they would do anything to avoid no deal had a goal gaping in front of them three times and they hit the ball over the bar."

She dismissed "elaborate plans" by MPs opposed to no deal to collapse the government and install a senior MP - such as Labour's Harriet Harman or ex-Tory minister Ken Clarke - as a caretaker prime minister.

"The simplest way to avoid no deal is to vote for a deal," she said.

"I've never served in the House of Commons, I'm not an aficionado of Erskine May, but my understanding is you can't bring back legislation that's already been voted down.

"So, if it requires a new Queen's Speech to bring back a deal, what I would urge is - to colleagues who want to avoid no deal - vote for a deal.

"You've had three opportunities, you blew every one of them. Don't blow a fourth.

"I know the prime minister is seeking to get a deal, I've had long conversations with him on this point and I believe him when he says he's seeking to get a deal.

"And, please - for those people who are trying to avoid no deal - make it clear, make it clear now that if a deal comes back to the House of Commons, you will vote for it.

"And let the EU hear you say you will vote for it so that there is a reason for them to reopen negotiations."

I hope there will be a little help for the people that will be feeling the consequences. So far the negotiations have been a complete farce. Let's wait and see whether Boris and his crew can work something out. Time will tell I guess. I haven't heard anything other than unnecessary and sourcelessly optimistic wisecracks and wishful thinking. Internal tricks and squabbling galore, real deal solutions nowhere in sight. Maybe behind the screens things are more constructive. Time will tell. If not, he truly is the irresponsible and egotistical idiot many people suspect him to be. Again: I really hope it turns out otherwise.

+Quote Post
Netley Lucas
post Aug 30 2019, 11:34 AM
Post #513

The Fall

QUOTE (BRFC @ Aug 30 2019, 11:43 AM) *
I hope there will be a little help for the people that will be feeling the consequences. So far the negotiations have been a complete farce. Let's wait and see whether Boris and his crew can work something out. Time will tell I guess. I haven't heard anything other than unnecessary and sourcelessly optimistic wisecracks and wishful thinking. Internal tricks and squabbling galore, real deal solutions nowhere in sight. Maybe behind the screens things are more constructive. Time will tell. If not, he truly is the irresponsible and egotistical idiot many people suspect him to be. Again: I really hope it turns out otherwise.

That's the spirit mate! laugh.gif

If he gets a deal you will come back? There'll be much celebrating on here I can tell you. biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Netley Lucas
post Aug 31 2019, 06:46 AM
Post #514

The Fall

+Quote Post
WALOR
post Sep 1 2019, 02:02 PM
Post #515

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Netley Lucas @ Aug 31 2019, 02:46 AM) *

Classic

--------------------

+Quote Post
Netley Lucas
post Sep 2 2019, 08:19 PM
Post #516

The Fall

Election 14th Oct? ohmy.gif

+Quote Post
WALOR
post Sep 3 2019, 08:46 PM
Post #517

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Netley Lucas @ Sep 2 2019, 04:19 PM) *

Anarchy for the U.K.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Netley Lucas
post Sep 6 2019, 01:40 PM
Post #518

The Fall

QUOTE (Netley Lucas @ Sep 2 2019, 09:19 PM) *

They're not biting, 21st Nov or somewhere around there. Means if Boris fails to get a deal at EU Council he either has to go cap in hand to Brussels to take their extension up the... or refuse.

+Quote Post
Netley Lucas
post Sep 10 2019, 08:53 PM
Post #519

The Fall

Can Boris get a NI only backstop? Agri & Stormont 'power' sans veto? Is he going to get a deal against all odds? ohmy.gif

Would remain welcome that or is stopping Brexit their only concern?

Was Boris right to prorogue? Bercow is on such a roll he'd eventually allow an SO24 to allow Parliament to revoke Art 50? laugh.gif

3 years of Parliamentary stalemate is celebrated by the opposition as Bercow stands down on Brexit day?

Has Remain made a fatal error in overestimating Tory electoral power in an early election?

Has the Boris acting illegally narrative dismissed one vital factor?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KIdLQDgAn0

hic!

This post has been edited by Netley Lucas: Sep 10 2019, 08:55 PM

+Quote Post

26 Pages V  « < 24 25 26
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th September 2019 - 11:28 AM