post May 21 2019, 06:54 AM
Post #781

King of Sheep
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 4,598

QUOTE (scoobyliscious @ May 20 2019, 08:05 PM) *
Fixed that for you wink.gif

That's why we expect you around for the Tour. wink.gif Make us all feel a bit better.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
scoobyliscious
post May 21 2019, 04:52 PM
Post #782

Ambassador of Grandiose Vision & Pomposity
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,142

QUOTE (BRFC @ May 21 2019, 02:54 AM) *
That's why we expect you around for the Tour. wink.gif Make us all feel a bit better.

You mean during what is my busiest month of the year?

I might be convinced to do that. Pretty sure we don't have any vacation plans, so I won't be traveling (always an issue to travel and play fantasy sports at the same time). Unless we decide to go to Cuyahoga National Park / Blossom Music Center for my birthday (they are taping my favorite radio show / podcast, Wait Wait Don't Tell Me there, plus the park is home to wild river otter, who are on my list of "things I want to see in the wild").

I'll fail miserably, but that's only to be expected.

With Geraint Thomas defending, but Froome back, will we see a repeat of LeMond and Hinault? I've had a look at the early teams and man does Ineos look strong. Can anyone else compete?

--------------------
I used to stay out late and try to walk the Muse home. Now I get up fresh-faced at 7 a.m. and take advantage of her while she's passing out.
-Bono

+Quote Post
PTC
post May 21 2019, 10:08 PM
Post #783

Advanced Member
Group Icon

Group: Patron
Member No.: 2,846

QUOTE (scoobyliscious @ May 21 2019, 12:52 PM) *
plus the park is home to wild river otter, who are on my list of "things I want to see in the wild").

I have just two (in this country) - bears and moose.

We recently spent time in Shenandoah, VA, hoping to see some of the former. They were witnessed on some trails, just not by us.

One day I hope a trip to Maine will bring forth the latter beast.

--------------------

+Quote Post
PTC
post May 21 2019, 10:10 PM
Post #784

Advanced Member
Group Icon

Group: Patron
Member No.: 2,846

QUOTE (scoobyliscious @ May 21 2019, 12:52 PM) *
With Geraint Thomas defending, but Froome back, will we see a repeat of LeMond and Hinault? I've had a look at the early teams and man does Ineos look strong. Can anyone else compete?

No, especially if they also pick Egan Bernal, who missed the Italian gig due to injury.

--------------------

+Quote Post
BRFC
post Yesterday, 03:51 PM
Post #785

King of Sheep
Group Icon

QUOTE (scoobyliscious @ May 21 2019, 06:52 PM) *
You mean during what is my busiest month of the year?

I might be convinced to do that. Pretty sure we don't have any vacation plans, so I won't be traveling (always an issue to travel and play fantasy sports at the same time). Unless we decide to go to Cuyahoga National Park / Blossom Music Center for my birthday (they are taping my favorite radio show / podcast, Wait Wait Don't Tell Me there, plus the park is home to wild river otter, who are on my list of "things I want to see in the wild").

The NBC game takes a little time and effort, but velogames is the easiest thing ever. If they get a license to launch, you won't have any trouble at all. Hope to see you for NBC though, as I think that''ll be the most likely game for us to play. They're just always so damn late.

Otters are cool.

Bears too. Shenandoah is actually the only national park I ever visited. And I didn't even know they had bears.

+Quote Post
BRFC
post Yesterday, 03:54 PM
Post #786

King of Sheep
Group Icon

QUOTE (PTC @ May 22 2019, 12:10 AM) *
No, especially if they also pick Egan Bernal, who missed the Italian gig due to injury.

Roglic could have given them a scare in this form. But Jumbo inexplicably chose Kruijswijk. Maybe that will change now though.

Adam Yates could try and challenge. Michelton-Scott have a very decent team as well.

+Quote Post
scoobyliscious
post Yesterday, 06:50 PM
Post #787

Ambassador of Grandiose Vision & Pomposity
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,142

QUOTE (PTC @ May 21 2019, 06:08 PM) *
I have just two (in this country) - bears and moose.

We recently spent time in Shenandoah, VA, hoping to see some of the former. They were witnessed on some trails, just not by us.

One day I hope a trip to Maine will bring forth the latter beast.

QUOTE (BRFC @ May 22 2019, 11:51 AM) *
The NBC game takes a little time and effort, but velogames is the easiest thing ever. If they get a license to launch, you won't have any trouble at all. Hope to see you for NBC though, as I think that''ll be the most likely game for us to play. They're just always so damn late.

Otters are cool.

Bears too. Shenandoah is actually the only national park I ever visited. And I didn't even know they had bears.

First: business ...

So, it's pick which former winner will "survive" to lead the team (note: when I looked, Bernal was already on the 2019 TdF team list).

Everyone should ask me who I pick, then immediately pick the other, because I'm notoriously bad at 50/50 chances (except on the pitch, where I'm actually capable of winning a tackle or two).

Second: more casual fun-type talk.

My family (parents, siblings, spouses, nieces and nephews) spent a few years doing "family vacation." Our first foray was to Shenandoah (or thereabouts), staying at a ski resort in the midst of July.

One evening, as we casually slid into our nighttime revelries (read: began the serious drinking for the day), we looked out at the trash, where a Black Bear, and her cub, were perusing the possible buffet. So, we spent the next 1/2 hour hanging out (again: serious drinking had begun) on the porch / deck of our rooms (slightly elevated above the garbage / parking lot), keeping the children from wandering over to say "hi" to said bear and generally watching said bear do whatever the redacted she wants, because, well, she's a redacted Bear.

Pretty cool to be that close to a bear, but still (reasonably) safe. One of the kids wasn't paying too much attention and brought a snack outside, leading to Mama Bear sniffing the air with meaning and intent before we sent the food back inside (followed, shortly, by all of us). Black Bears can climb, after all, so she definitely could have made it to our little encampment. And, basically, if you are anywhere in the US and north of "tropical," bears are a possibility, however slight (which means, PTC, you could see one in the forests around Philly; you just aren't very likely to do so). They are the primary Apex Predator of the continent (other than, you know, us).

As for moose? While I like, and highly recommend, a trip to Maine (find a roadside stand for your Lobstah Roll, and yes I spelled it that way so you pronounce it correctly for the local dialect: it's like a farmer's market for seafood), I'm a bigger fan of Yellowstone, where you can also see Elk/Wapiti, Wolves (so, so, so cool), Bears (Brown or Black) and Geysers. It's a haul and requires preparation, but is TOTALLY worth it.

--------------------
I used to stay out late and try to walk the Muse home. Now I get up fresh-faced at 7 a.m. and take advantage of her while she's passing out.
-Bono

+Quote Post

40 Pages V  « < 38 39 40
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd May 2019 - 04:23 AM