Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Fantasy Cycling, Tour de France
broadview
post Mar 25 2016, 12:30 AM
Post #101

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,649

Boasson Hagen is no longer on the E3 start list. Not sure why specifically, but I read that Dimension Data will only race 7 tomorrow due to "a number of injuries and illness".

Edit - Boasson Hagen out, Boonen in for me.

This post has been edited by broadview: Mar 25 2016, 12:36 AM

--------------------
Nope, nothing to see down here. Move along.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
broadview
post Mar 26 2016, 01:40 PM
Post #102

Advanced Member

Disappointing that van Avermaet needed to withdraw from the E3 Harelbeke due to illness. I see mixed speculation about his participation tomorrow in the Gent-Wevelgam. Might need to make another switch. He is still listed on the start list for now.

I saw a replay of the E3 Harelbeke finish. Sagan was very disappointed, but it was a great finish by Kwiatkowski outwitting him in the end. thumbsup.gif

This post has been edited by broadview: Mar 26 2016, 01:41 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
BRFC
post Mar 26 2016, 08:20 PM
Post #103

King of Sheep
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 4,598

QUOTE (broadview @ Mar 26 2016, 02:40 PM) *
Disappointing that van Avermaet needed to withdraw from the E3 Harelbeke due to illness. I see mixed speculation about his participation tomorrow in the Gent-Wevelgam. Might need to make another switch. He is still listed on the start list for now.

I saw a replay of the E3 Harelbeke finish. Sagan was very disappointed, but it was a great finish by Kwiatkowski outwitting him in the end. thumbsup.gif

It's getting quite predictable though. Sagan is the best racer, but the worst winner. It's getting silly. No to take anything away from Kwiatkowski though. He's a giant as well.

I'll take my chances with Greg. Disappointed that I wasn't able to rid me of EBH in time. I'll keep him now, although he's probably not in super shape. GW is one for the sprinters, so if he's regained some strength he could be an ok choice for this one. Not expecting any miracles though. Hopefully Van Baarle does me a favor.

+Quote Post
BRFC
post Mar 27 2016, 09:34 AM
Post #104

King of Sheep
Group Icon

Rats. Enger disappeared from the starting list since yesterday and Broadview has 100% starters. Quite different teams aside from some of the obvious choices. Debusschere could do well again for you today. I have my hopes set on Gaviria, Coquard and maybe a sneaky Van Baarle top 5 finish. Some very steep climbs today. 23% at some parts ohmy.gif

+Quote Post
broadview
post Mar 27 2016, 01:42 PM
Post #105

Advanced Member

I'm watching a Dutch stream on youtube, which is a bit challenging to understand. But I'm finally able to catch some live action. cool.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
BRFC
post Mar 27 2016, 03:07 PM
Post #106

King of Sheep
Group Icon

QUOTE (broadview @ Mar 27 2016, 03:42 PM) *
I'm watching a Dutch stream on youtube, which is a bit challenging to understand. But I'm finally able to catch some live action. cool.gif

'A bit'?

Good race sofar. Vanmarcke is a week early though. Had him pinned down for the Ronde.

+Quote Post
BRFC
post Mar 27 2016, 03:19 PM
Post #107

King of Sheep
Group Icon

They're going to stay away. Damn.

+Quote Post
broadview
post Mar 27 2016, 03:25 PM
Post #108

Advanced Member

QUOTE (BRFC @ Mar 27 2016, 11:07 AM) *
'A bit'?

Good race sofar. Vanmarcke is a week early though. Had him pinned down for the Ronde.

I took German in high school, and once in a while something comes through that seems to make sense to me, but I'm probably guessing wrong. biggrin.gif

Only Sagan in the lead breakaway group of 4 for us, and I think they will hold. We'll see who comes in to follow.

--------------------

+Quote Post
broadview
post Mar 27 2016, 10:26 PM
Post #109

Advanced Member

Sagan finally finishes right, and it wasn't a certainty. I thought the Katusha guy had him beaten. Only 82 cyclists officially finished. Probably that late 23% grade hill destroyed a bunch.

Besides Sagan and van Avermaet, I only got a smattering of assist points. You did better with Gaviria. We have one week to finalize the Tour of Flanders picks, which will be the bigger Category 1 race anyway.

--------------------

+Quote Post
BRFC
post Mar 28 2016, 10:46 AM
Post #110

King of Sheep
Group Icon

QUOTE (broadview @ Mar 28 2016, 12:26 AM) *
Sagan finally finishes right, and it wasn't a certainty. I thought the Katusha guy had him beaten. Only 82 cyclists officially finished. Probably that late 23% grade hill destroyed a bunch.

Besides Sagan and van Avermaet, I only got a smattering of assist points. You did better with Gaviria. We have one week to finalize the Tour of Flanders picks, which will be the bigger Category 1 race anyway.

Yeah, already made some transfers. I haven't really figured out how much of a disadvantage that migt prove to be. You look like you know what you're doing, so that might turn out to be a huge mistake. biggrin.gif Kuznetsov looked pretty good. He might be worth a shot if he's starting some of the other races.

Why on earth did you take German in high school?

+Quote Post
scoobyliscious
post Mar 28 2016, 01:53 PM
Post #111

Ambassador of Grandiose Vision & Pomposity
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,142

QUOTE (BRFC @ Mar 28 2016, 06:46 AM) *
Why on earth did you take German in high school?

Largest economy in the European Union? Or, like me, lives in an area with a large German presence (as in: the Erie Canal used to run through downtown, dividing it into two parts: downtown and Over-the-Rhine)? He discovered Lager and needed to read recipes in the original?

And that's not to mention the benefits of learning a second language.

--------------------
I used to stay out late and try to walk the Muse home. Now I get up fresh-faced at 7 a.m. and take advantage of her while she's passing out.
-Bono

+Quote Post
BRFC
post Mar 28 2016, 02:34 PM
Post #112

King of Sheep
Group Icon

QUOTE (scoobyliscious @ Mar 28 2016, 03:53 PM) *
Largest economy in the European Union? Or, like me, lives in an area with a large German presence (as in: the Erie Canal used to run through downtown, dividing it into two parts: downtown and Over-the-Rhine)? He discovered Lager and needed to read recipes in the original?

And that's not to mention the benefits of learning a second language.

Interesting. There's also research that suggests children growing up in a bi-lingual family have a highe chance of dyslexia.

Over-the-Rhine? That's actually pretty funny. Hence the great beers in your neck of the woods?

+Quote Post
scoobyliscious
post Mar 28 2016, 09:20 PM
Post #113

Group Icon

QUOTE (BRFC @ Mar 28 2016, 10:34 AM) *
Interesting. There's also research that suggests children growing up in a bi-lingual family have a highe chance of dyslexia.

As language and writing are actually different, something anyone who read the lyrics to Purple Rain (I Would Die 4 U) or Sly & The Family Stone (Thank You For Letting Me Be Mice Elf) should recognize, it doesn't surprise me that dyslexia and multi-lingual environments are correlated. It would be difficult to learn all of the "exceptions" and weird ticks of writing with a single alphabet for two different languages, and really easy to have the letters just swim around in front of you.

QUOTE (BRFC @ Mar 28 2016, 10:34 AM) *
Over-the-Rhine? That's actually pretty funny. Hence the great beers in your neck of the woods?

Got it in one. Although, I wouldn't say too many "great" beers, more of a wide selection of above-average beers.

I mean, we aren't Belgium.

--------------------
I used to stay out late and try to walk the Muse home. Now I get up fresh-faced at 7 a.m. and take advantage of her while she's passing out.
-Bono

+Quote Post
broadview
post Mar 29 2016, 01:48 AM
Post #114

Advanced Member

QUOTE (scoobyliscious @ Mar 28 2016, 05:20 PM) *
Got it in one. Although, I wouldn't say too many "great" beers, more of a wide selection of above-average beers. I mean, we aren't Belgium.

Hey Scoobs, I actually went to a nice Belgian restaurant in the Over the Rhein neighborhood last year and drank some very good beer. biggrin.gif

Regarding German, I continued in college with a few classes here and there. My German professor said he did his doctoral dissertation on the dialect of German spoken in Wisconsin in past generations - Milwaukee Deutsch! I guess it's the Spanglish of an earlier time. laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
scoobyliscious
post Mar 29 2016, 09:06 PM
Post #115

Group Icon

QUOTE (broadview @ Mar 28 2016, 09:48 PM) *
Hey Scoobs, I actually went to a nice Belgian restaurant in the Over the Rhein neighborhood last year and drank some very good beer. biggrin.gif

Regarding German, I continued in college with a few classes here and there. My German professor said he did his doctoral dissertation on the dialect of German spoken in Wisconsin in past generations - Milwaukee Deutsch! I guess it's the Spanglish of an earlier time. laugh.gif

Taste of Belgium is my guess. Waffles and Chicken. A good choice. Did you get a chance to hit any of the Bourbon bars? The other great thing about this town: close enough to find rare and small batch Bourbons at good prices, but not an actual part of over-hyping anything, so they aren't really omnipresent in the "forced to listen to some hipster drone on about them" kind of way.

Back on topic: we are barely more than 5 weeks away from the start of the Giro and I have sooooo many questions
  1. Will BRFC attend any, all or none of the three day Netherlands-based kick off races?
  2. Who will concentrate on training for the Giro instead of the Tour this year (Valverde was supposed to ride the Giro, with Quintana the tour, but the source is from November 2015, and I don't know if those plans have changed)?
  3. What teams are riding well, collectively? Enough to give team leaders an advantage in the Grand Tours?
  4. Can all the major players get and stay healthy for an epic Tour showdown? Including supporting riders?
  5. Who are the younger riders ready to "break out" in the Grand Tours?
  6. Is there a favorite in the Grand Tours, based upon the routes, i.e. does the Giro route, with its 3 individual time trial stages (including a pretty steep climb on the last ITT) favor a particular racer or style?

I'll stop there, and maybe save a few questions for pre-Tour investigation; we'll have to revisit the health / form questions at that time, anyway, right?

--------------------
-Bono

+Quote Post
BRFC
post Apr 3 2016, 11:39 AM
Post #116

King of Sheep
Group Icon

Awesome this. You went for Boonen, Keukeleire, Langeveld, I picked Stybar, Benoot and Sagan. Neither of us have Kristof and we share Vanmarcke and Van Avermaet. Great teams, but with some interesting differences. Should be good. Game on!

+Quote Post
BRFC
post Apr 3 2016, 12:05 PM
Post #117

King of Sheep
Group Icon

The power of my curse seems particularly strong this year. Benoot to hospital, EBH bike breaks down, Vanmarcke bike breaks down. Kuznetsov bike breaks down.

Edit: Van Avermaet down now too. My God. I should be forbidden to play.

This post has been edited by BRFC: Apr 3 2016, 12:08 PM

+Quote Post
broadview
post Apr 3 2016, 12:38 PM
Post #118

Advanced Member

Can't catch a stream anywhere. My big gamble was to drop Sagan for Cancellara. Of course part of my reasoning was to facilitate the addition of Vanmarcke. Oops. rolleyes.gif

I saw a picture of van Avermaet splayed down on the ground. Is he injured badly?

Edit - report that van Avermaet has a clavicle fracture. sad.gif

This post has been edited by broadview: Apr 3 2016, 12:52 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
BRFC
post Apr 3 2016, 01:45 PM
Post #119

King of Sheep
Group Icon

QUOTE (broadview @ Apr 3 2016, 02:38 PM) *
Can't catch a stream anywhere. My big gamble was to drop Sagan for Cancellara. Of course part of my reasoning was to facilitate the addition of Vanmarcke. Oops. rolleyes.gif

I saw a picture of van Avermaet splayed down on the ground. Is he injured badly?

Edit - report that van Avermaet has a clavicle fracture. sad.gif

Out of the blue too. Harmless point in the race, and down they all went. BMC are taking hits today.

+Quote Post
broadview
post Apr 3 2016, 02:00 PM
Post #120

Advanced Member

Vanmarcke back in? I just read he is in the group with Sagan and Cancellara. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

37 Pages V  « < 4 5 6 7 8 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th August 2018 - 07:03 PM