Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Fpl Newbie - Help Needed, Help me understand the nuances of this game
xabirocks
post Jul 31 2017, 10:59 AM
Post #1

Sparingly active. PM me if you need to reach me.

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,782

Hey Guys,

This is my first foray into FPL - which is apparently being used in the Arena. I loved my time in the Arena during the YFF heyday, and that's my sole reason to play FPL this season.

Can someone please help me with FPL basics, it's nuances, and general gameplay tips so I can hit the ground running ?

Specifically,
1. How is the scoring different from other fantasy games - say fantrax or YFF ?
2. What are these wildcard thingies, and what are typical strategies to using them ?
3. Where's the list of rules explained in detail, so I can stop asking these dumb questions.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
PTC
post Jul 31 2017, 11:53 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member
Group Icon

Group: Patron
Member No.: 2,846

Oh boy.

Firstly, become acquainted with this site. It is FPL central.

2 wildcards - one in each half of the season.

A lot of people use the 1st one after 3 or 4 weeks - it really depends on how well you select your initial team.

2nd wildcard, Bench Boost and Triple Captain chips are generally held back for later in the season when there are double game weeks to maximise the points.

You've got to use your free transfers wisely, and also don't be afraid to sometimes take penalty hits to pay for extra transfers.

The best players think longer term, over 5, 6 or more games...rather than focussing on the short term.

You should also find a good site that anticipates player price rise/fall. You want players whose stock is rising. Obviously.

Others, who understand it a damn sight better than me, will help you more.

I had A LOT of trouble getting to grips with it in my first season, but last year was good to me. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Netley Lucas
post Jul 31 2017, 11:54 AM
Post #3

Nirvana

Member No.: 44,432

QUOTE (xabirocks @ Jul 31 2017, 11:59 AM) *
Hey Guys,

This is my first foray into FPL - which is apparently being used in the Arena. I loved my time in the Arena during the YFF heyday, and that's my sole reason to play FPL this season.

Can someone please help me with FPL basics, it's nuances, and general gameplay tips so I can hit the ground running ?

Specifically,
1. How is the scoring different from other fantasy games - say fantrax or YFF ?
2. What are these wildcard thingies, and what are typical strategies to using them ?
3. Where's the list of rules explained in detail, so I can stop asking these dumb questions.

Well it's quite simple really, almost a bit too basic but there are some interesting nuances. laugh.gif
You get good points for goals, assists and cleanies, but the nuance is bap's, bonus points. They're awarded to the 'best' 3 players in a game, based on everything they do in that game. So basically you may have a great player who doesn't score, assist or clean and he'll get nowt, 2pts appearance, meh. But once you start getting goals, assists, cleanies, the points mount, dramatically. Keepers are interesting too, they get points for saves and lose points for goals conceded. Make 9 saves in a 3-0 defeat and you get 4pts, not a lot but we see this as a win, especially for a cheapo in a meh side.
Wildcard, you can change everyone. Many will play the 1st at the 2nd international break, others will wait. 2nd is great for DGW prep. Bench-boost can be great too, for DGW (double gameweeks), you can get 15 starting, twice if you're lucky.
Captaincy is critical, double points, so when Kane goes mental, wow, the points go crazy. There's a new chip too, free hit, looks like this might be good for those FA cup weeks, when you may not have a lot of starters. You have a free transfer every week, but you can also buy transfers, 4pts each. Players rise & fall in value too, keep half of any gain on sales, suffer all of losses on sales. You can build value, go from 100m to 110m with active trading but it's not always the best way.

https://fantasy.premierleague.com/a/help

+Quote Post
PTC
post Jul 31 2017, 12:34 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,846

xabi - your head is gonna be spinning for a while. biggrin.gif

You'd do well to sheep it for a while, learning as you go along.

+Quote Post
xabirocks
post Jul 31 2017, 02:04 PM
Post #5

Sparingly active. PM me if you need to reach me.

Member No.: 5,782

QUOTE (PTC @ Jul 31 2017, 06:04 PM) *
xabi - your head is gonna be spinning for a while. biggrin.gif

You read my head sad.gif

+Quote Post
RAPID
post Jul 31 2017, 08:03 PM
Post #6

✟ CARPE ✟ DIEM ✟
Group Icon

Member No.: 7,943

There's also a free hit this year, meaning you won't pay 4 points for one more transfer... that's new to the game and us all! wink.gif

--------------------
Mané, Mané, Mané
Must be funny ☺️
In the Rich man's world
Mané, Mané, Mané
Always sunny ☀️
In Richarlison's world

★★★★★★★★★★★★★
“RAPID scores goals like Marco van Basten(PTC)
“RAPID is the Magical Negro whose special powers make us all better at Fantasy Footie”(scoobyliscious)

+Quote Post
ravenscroftraven...
post Aug 2 2017, 09:03 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 68,570

What does everyone make of all the new additions/chips each year?

I can see why they're doing it - to put a life back into it when the inevitable template teams kick in but I'm not sure I quite them myself.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th October 2018 - 04:33 AM