scoobyliscious
post Aug 29 2017, 04:09 PM
Post #21

Ambassador of Grandiose Vision & Pomposity
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 1,142

QUOTE (xabirocks @ Aug 28 2017, 10:37 PM) *
I'm travelling next week on vacation incidently.

My first visit to Canada. Couple in Toronto - standard Niagara falls (never seen it, so I guess I have to go).
But looking forward to the 3 days in Quebec city and around. Going to give this canyoning thingy a go. http://canyoning-quebec.com/en/

Have some undecided time in Toronto and Quebec City, any suggestions ?

I'll second Ice's recommendation to wander old Quebec City and look for places to eat. Maybe try some poutine (can't remember if that's more of a rural thing; oh, and it's French fries with gravy and cheese curds, so it's a heart-stopping cholesterol bomb of tasty goodness) and/or Ice Wine. Personally, Ice Wine is a little sweet, but it never hurts to try something, especially if you can get a wine tasting. Again, though, I mix up Quebec City with the more rural parts of Maine / New Hampshire / Vermont / the Gaspay Peninsula and the St. Lawrence seaway.

In Toronto, ask your hotel concierge to find a nice place. I've always had good luck there (I use to travel there for business - somehow, it was always in January, too) with local, non-tourist places. I would avoid the CN Tower and surrounding environs (again: tourists). I had some success with the old Maple Leaf Gardens (and a hilarious story from two male colleagues, who didn't pay attention to the Rainbow flag in front of an establishment before ordering the "burger for two" special). Generally, though, Toronto is a pretty chill place (and chilly, but it IS in the North), so you should do OK pretty much anywhere.

Lastly, if you are going to Niagara and have the extra time, you may want to make the pilgrimage for "original" Buffalo Wings in, well, Buffalo, NY. As I recall, locals avoid The Anchor (the place where Buffalo Wings were supposedly invented) and go to Gabriel's Gate. It's been nigh 20 years (or more) since I made it, but I had a local friend take me there, and the wings were big, meaty and perfectly prepared.

--------------------
I used to stay out late and try to walk the Muse home. Now I get up fresh-faced at 7 a.m. and take advantage of her while she's passing out.
-Bono
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
xabirocks
post Aug 29 2017, 04:18 PM
Post #22

Sparingly active. PM me if you need to reach me.

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,782

Cheers Ice and scooby thumbsup.gif

+Quote Post
PTC
post Aug 29 2017, 05:18 PM
Post #23

Advanced Member
Group Icon

Group: Patron
Member No.: 2,846

If you find Niagara a bit too trashy (just my opinion biggrin.gif) , you could go 20 minutes to Niagara-on-the-Lake, a quiet little town.

I've always wanted to go to Quebec City but it's never happened. Jealous. sad.gif

Toronto - maybe catch a baseball game.

+Quote Post
scoobyliscious
post Aug 29 2017, 05:42 PM
Post #24

Ambassador of Grandiose Vision & Pomposity
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,142

QUOTE (PTC @ Aug 29 2017, 01:18 PM) *
If you find Niagara a bit too trashy (just my opinion biggrin.gif)

Not just yours. The falls themselves are awesome, but the area is so overrun with crap as to make it difficult to appreciate their natural beauty.

--------------------
I used to stay out late and try to walk the Muse home. Now I get up fresh-faced at 7 a.m. and take advantage of her while she's passing out.
-Bono

+Quote Post
PTC
post Aug 29 2017, 06:06 PM
Post #25

Advanced Member
Group Icon

QUOTE (scoobyliscious @ Aug 29 2017, 01:42 PM) *
Not just yours. The falls themselves are awesome, but the area is so overrun with crap as to make it difficult to appreciate their natural beauty.

Some people like that. I won't judge. wink.gif

+Quote Post
xabirocks
post Sep 11 2017, 02:36 PM
Post #26

Well, I had mixed feeling about the Falls. They, themselves were breathtaking - the sheer volume of water there is amazing.
I quite liked the splash of the mist on the ferry - although it's a bit too touristy for me. Overall, it's a must visit of course, just f'ed up by civilization around.

Loved old Quebec City - and drive up to La Malbaie - had a nice quiet time of it.

Did some 'canyoning' on the way - n absolute must-do !!
They have you rappelling down the side of waterfalls, and jump into deep pools of water from rock surfaces - killer, as long as you're okay with splash. Easily the best part of the trip.
http://canyoning-quebec.com/en/jean-larose_falls/

Apparently, they do ice canyoning too in winter. nyam.gif Can't imagine how fun that would be.

+Quote Post
xabirocks
post Sep 11 2017, 02:42 PM
Post #27

QUOTE (PTC @ Aug 29 2017, 10:48 PM) *
If you find Niagara a bit too trashy (just my opinion biggrin.gif) , you could go 20 minutes to Niagara-on-the-Lake, a quiet little town.

Yeah, I heard about it - maybe next time.

I've always wanted to go to Quebec City but it's never happened. Jealous. sad.gif

Oh you should, it's very pretty - and drive through the Charlevoix region when you go there - as picturesque a place as you'll see.

Toronto - maybe catch a baseball game.

Ah, no thanks. My cousin lives right near CN tower and the Rogers stadium, on the lake shore in Downtown. But I don't miss the baseball one bit. I one went to a ball game in SFO with the giants, and it was the worst $50 of my life. I guess you need to grow up with the game (like cricket) to really enjoy it.

(american) Football and basketball on the other hand. thumbsup.gif

Toronto is an amazing city - spent hours walking through downtown. cool.gif

+Quote Post
PTC
post Sep 11 2017, 05:16 PM
Post #28

Advanced Member
Group Icon

QUOTE (xabirocks @ Sep 11 2017, 10:36 AM) *
I quite liked the splash of the mist on the ferry - although it's a bit too touristy for me. Overall, it's a must visit of course, just f'ed up by civilization around.

It is very trashy. Sadly.

First time to Canada? Did you try any new foods? Poutine (not to be confused with putain, obviously whistling.gif )?

+Quote Post
xabirocks
post Sep 11 2017, 08:09 PM
Post #29

QUOTE (PTC @ Sep 11 2017, 11:46 PM) *
It is very trashy. Sadly.

First time to Canada? Did you try any new foods? Poutine (not to be confused with putain, obviously whistling.gif )?

I didn't. Unfortunately, I am a not a meat eater, so I couldn't get it without the beef gravy - but I really sampled a whole lot of breads, and pretty much any bakery I ventured into made wonderfully balanced pastries, unlike the usual sugary stuff you get in India or the US. They care so much about the food - it was very refreshing.

At La Malbaie, there were even road directions to the best bakery in town! And the coffee, any random coffee shop has amazing expresso - it was a dream.
Loved the food, even being a veggie. I can only imagine how amazing it'd had been if I ate meat.

+Quote Post
PTC
post Sep 11 2017, 08:16 PM
Post #30

Advanced Member
Group Icon

QUOTE (xabirocks @ Sep 11 2017, 04:09 PM) *
At La Malbaie, there were even road directions to the best bakery in town! And the coffee, any random coffee shop has amazing expresso - it was a dream.
Loved the food, even being a veggie. I can only imagine how amazing it'd had been if I ate meat.

I'm going to assume that you typed espresso and your phone randomly changed it.

I can not for one second imagine life without meat. Not happening. biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
PTC
post Sep 11 2017, 08:17 PM
Post #31

Advanced Member
Group Icon

And if you went into bakeries you must surely have tried a BeaverTail.

+Quote Post
xabirocks
post Sep 12 2017, 06:25 AM
Post #32

QUOTE (PTC @ Sep 12 2017, 01:47 AM) *
And if you went into bakeries you must surely have tried a BeaverTail.

Yup. I had all sorts of them. That base is so light and crispy. Loved it.

+Quote Post
BRFC
post Sep 12 2017, 10:28 AM
Post #33

King of Sheep
Group Icon

Member No.: 4,598

I love how PTC manages to turn all threads into discussions on food. biggrin.gif Please keep going.

+Quote Post
xabirocks
post Sep 12 2017, 01:56 PM
Post #34

QUOTE (BRFC @ Sep 12 2017, 03:58 PM) *
I love how PTC manages to turn all threads into discussions on food. biggrin.gif Please keep going.

Well, a travel discussion without food is blasphemy - and PTC helped a brother out in this thread biggrin.gif
I can't believe I left out food in my initial report.

+Quote Post
PTC
post Sep 12 2017, 03:06 PM
Post #35

Advanced Member
Group Icon

QUOTE (BRFC @ Sep 12 2017, 06:28 AM) *

Travelling without food being part of the narrative is a story not fully told.

You know this.

+Quote Post
tigerjames
post Nov 17 2017, 06:11 AM
Post #36

autre ne veux
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,222

QUOTE (PTC @ Sep 12 2017, 03:06 PM) *
Travelling without food being part of the narrative is a story not fully told.

You know this.

Ok Paddington smile.gif

--------------------

Tigerjames
Best Yahoo Finish 19th(12/13), 33rd(14/15)
Best Sky fantasy football finish 31st (14/15)
Best Metro fantasy football finish 11th(11/12)
"alien2005" Simply the Best
HELP STARTING 11

+Quote Post
PTC
post Nov 17 2017, 06:10 PM
Post #37

Advanced Member
Group Icon

QUOTE (tigerjames @ Nov 17 2017, 01:11 AM) *
Ok Paddington smile.gif

Never been to Peru and I don't like marmalade. biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
BRFC
post Dec 18 2017, 03:02 AM
Post #38

King of Sheep
Group Icon

Member No.: 4,598

QUOTE (Ice66 @ Aug 29 2017, 05:42 AM) *
that's really cool. i haven't been to that part of China, so it'd be hard for me to give any useful advice.

any chance for you pass by Hong Kong? ryan and myself are based here and we can do a meet up. shok.gif smile.gif

Alright. We changed plans. Inner Mongolia is just too friggin’ cold right now. -20 in a tent wasn’t a picnic. I’m mot about to try -30. In Pingyao atm and we’ll be traveling south to Zhangjiajie tomorrow hopefully. After that, probably towards Beijing via the eastern partsnof China. Any advice? Is Shanghai a must see? Loving the trip so far. The Labrang monastery was something else I must say. Very impressive. Some good hikes as well and the rainbow
Mountains in Gansu were breathtaking.

And the food is just awesome. Tibetan dumplings, mountain noodles, yak meat, street food in the Muslim quarter of Xi’an... it is all equally amazing. smile.gif

+Quote Post
PTC
post Dec 18 2017, 08:43 PM
Post #39

Advanced Member
Group Icon

QUOTE (BRFC @ Dec 17 2017, 10:02 PM) *
Alright. We changed plans. Inner Mongolia is just too friggin’ cold right now. -20 in a tent wasn’t a picnic. I’m mot about to try -30. In Pingyao atm and we’ll be traveling south to Zhangjiajie tomorrow hopefully. After that, probably towards Beijing via the eastern partsnof China. Any advice? Is Shanghai a must see? Loving the trip so far. The Labrang monastery was something else I must say. Very impressive. Some good hikes as well and the rainbow

And the food is just awesome. Tibetan dumplings, mountain noodles, yak meat, street food in the Muslim quarter of Xi’an... it is all equally amazing. smile.gif

Meh.

On Wednesday my wife and I are going downtown for the Christmas market, and lunch in Chinatown. Dim sum!

+Quote Post
Ice66
post Dec 19 2017, 07:37 AM
Post #40

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4,245

QUOTE (BRFC @ Dec 18 2017, 03:02 AM) *

wow brfc, i must say, you are quite the adventurer. you and the missus. believe it or not, i've never actually been to that part of China. Shanghai is a must if you wanna see the modern/ city side of China, but it looks like you've been having a blast enjoying the natural scenery, so i wouldn't say it's a must. sorry that i'm not able to provide much insight, but glad to know that you're enjoying yourselves.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th September 2018 - 12:01 PM