PTC
post Apr 26 2018, 02:30 PM
Post #101

Advanced Member
Group Icon

Group: Patron
Member No.: 2,846

QUOTE (crazylegs @ Apr 26 2018, 08:43 AM) *
Soon as I read that I immediately thought of this biggrin.gif Duelling Banjo's!

That really is a great movie scene.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
scoobyliscious
post Apr 26 2018, 05:24 PM
Post #102

Ambassador of Grandiose Vision & Pomposity
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 1,142

QUOTE (vsberlina @ Apr 25 2018, 10:13 PM) *
I understand the concept. It utilizes different muscles as the gradient isn't constant. Great for building up fitness.
But there's hillbillies in them thar hills, so it's pretty dangerous. You need to watch the movie, 'Deliverance'. biggrin.gif

If you can't find friends that want to play football, then you need to dump those friends and get new ones.

Bah - I walk the hills of Kentucky every week, and there are several people "trail-running" along the 2-mile ridgeline loop.

Of course, I also have a 65 lb. dog with me.

Mostly, though, those hillbillies want you to leave them, and their land, alone. So, if you stick to defined, public trails, you should be fine. It's when you start wandering off the beaten path that you can find yourself in trouble. And, if you ever see a still in the woods? Run, as quickly as possible, back to the beaten path. You don't want to piss off the 'shiners.

--------------------
I used to stay out late and try to walk the Muse home. Now I get up fresh-faced at 7 a.m. and take advantage of her while she's passing out.
-Bono

+Quote Post
PTC
post Apr 26 2018, 07:28 PM
Post #103

Advanced Member
Group Icon

QUOTE (scoobyliscious @ Apr 26 2018, 01:24 PM) *
Mostly, though, those hillbillies want you to leave them, and their land, alone. So, if you stick to defined, public trails, you should be fine. It's when you start wandering off the beaten path that you can find yourself in trouble. And, if you ever see a still in the woods? Run, as quickly as possible, back to the beaten path. You don't want to piss off the 'shiners.

It'd be rude not to ask for a sample.

+Quote Post
vsberlina
post Apr 27 2018, 02:50 PM
Post #104

VSBerlina
Group Icon

Member No.: 4,227

QUOTE (scoobyliscious @ Apr 27 2018, 03:24 AM) *
Bah - I walk the hills of Kentucky every week, and there are several people "trail-running" along the 2-mile ridgeline loop.

Of course, I also have a 65 lb. dog with me.

I never have, and now probably never will, have any regrets for cancelling our trip to the US in 2008.
Going back to Thailand was the best thing we ever did. biggrin.gif
Guns, Hillbillies, Pitbulls. All banned here in Australia. That's why we're so safe. Except for sharks... and spiders... and snakes... and dropbears.

As for moonshine, didn't you guys abolish prohibition? Isn't it legal to make moonshine now?

--------------------
Love EPL Fantasy Football? Try these.

The official Fantasy Premier League 2017/18 games.
The Real Dream Team
FOXSports EPL Fantasy Football
Fantasysportnet
Goaldenboot Pick 8 players who you think will score this week.
Predictor TalkSport (the old IKTS)

Love Candy Crush and Farm Heroes Sagas? Add me on Facebook for lives, beans and tickets.

+Quote Post
PTC
post Apr 27 2018, 02:59 PM
Post #105

Advanced Member
Group Icon

QUOTE (vsberlina @ Apr 27 2018, 10:50 AM) *
Isn't it legal to make moonshine now?

Yeah, if you want to follow all the rules and regulations, and pay taxes.

Where in the States were you looking at visiting, before deciding otherwise?

+Quote Post
SuarezPower
post Nov 15 2018, 09:53 AM
Post #106

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 66,335

Ran the 5k run in the dark Cork event last night in 19.42. Decent time considering I spent 2/3k running in a maze, so frustrating when walkers/joggers blocking your path, guess that's the price for starting off fast. On a another day would have got a P.B.. Walkers/joggers slowed me down at least a minute rolleyes.gif

This post has been edited by SuarezPower: Nov 15 2018, 09:56 AM

+Quote Post
vsberlina
post Nov 15 2018, 01:07 PM
Post #107

VSBerlina
Group Icon

QUOTE (SuarezPower @ Nov 15 2018, 08:53 PM) *
Ran the 5k run in the dark Cork event last night in 19.42. Decent time considering I spent 2/3k running in a maze, so frustrating when walkers/joggers blocking your path, guess that's the price for starting off fast. On a another day would have got a P.B.. Walkers/joggers slowed me down at least a minute rolleyes.gif

Well at least the cops didn't catch you. Walkers/joggers would have got in their way too so you still managed to get away.
There's no other explanation as to why someone would move that fast. biggrin.gif

--------------------

The Real Dream Team
Fantasysportnet

Love Candy Crush and Farm Heroes Sagas? Add me on Facebook for lives, beans and tickets.

+Quote Post
crazylegs
post Nov 15 2018, 02:15 PM
Post #108

Sodalis Extraordinaire!

Member No.: 6,379

QUOTE (vsberlina @ Nov 15 2018, 01:07 PM) *
Well at least the cops didn't catch you. Walkers/joggers would have got in their way too so you still managed to get away.
There's no other explanation as to why someone would move that fast. biggrin.gif

lol.gif

--------------------

WCGrid
I'm not grouchy by nature, it takes constant effort!

S11 Arena Champion 2017/18 with Renegades!
S11 Arena League Champion of the season 2016/17
S11 Arena Champion 2011/12 with Dexters!

+Quote Post
Ice66
post Nov 16 2018, 04:04 PM
Post #109

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4,245

QUOTE (SuarezPower @ Nov 15 2018, 09:53 AM) *

whoa, that's really fast! 3.56 per k!

+Quote Post
BRFC
post Nov 16 2018, 05:57 PM
Post #110

King of Sheep
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 4,598

QUOTE (SuarezPower @ Nov 15 2018, 10:53 AM) *

Agree with Ice! 5K below 20 minutes is impressive. Considering the circumstances, even more so. thumbsup.gif

+Quote Post
SuarezPower
post Nov 16 2018, 06:02 PM
Post #111

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Ice66 @ Nov 16 2018, 04:04 PM) *
whoa, that's really fast! 3.56 per k!

It's not too bad smile.gif. Of course the course was ideal, very flat although there were a lot of sharp turns. Conditions were wet and windy which didn't help biggrin.gif . My best time for 5k still stands at 18.52. 2,300 took part in this run of the dark and came a respectable 16th in the 5k event.

+Quote Post
vsberlina
post Nov 17 2018, 02:04 AM
Post #112

VSBerlina
Group Icon

QUOTE (SuarezPower @ Nov 17 2018, 05:02 AM) *
It's not too bad smile.gif. Of course the course was ideal, very flat although there were a lot of sharp turns. Conditions were wet and windy which didn't help biggrin.gif . My best time for 5k still stands at 18.52. 2,300 took part in this run of the dark and came a respectable 16th in the 5k event.

Where did the cops come? tongue.gif

--------------------

The Real Dream Team
Fantasysportnet

+Quote Post
SuarezPower
post Nov 17 2018, 10:55 PM
Post #113

Advanced Member

QUOTE (vsberlina @ Nov 17 2018, 02:04 AM) *
Where did the cops come? tongue.gif

Who knows tongue.gif I left them chasing shadows cool.gif

+Quote Post
Ice66
post Nov 18 2018, 05:43 AM
Post #114

Advanced Member

QUOTE (SuarezPower @ Nov 16 2018, 06:02 PM) *

sheesh! do you train properly for these things? what's your 10k time like?

+Quote Post
SuarezPower
post Nov 18 2018, 11:12 AM
Post #115

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Ice66 @ Nov 18 2018, 05:43 AM) *
sheesh! do you train properly for these things? what's your 10k time like?

My training scheduling changes from week to week. I try to get at least one 10k run in once a week, sometimes I canrun 4 days straight. I have been running all my life, so I'm naturally quite fit smile.gif. It's how I feel and I always do the parkrun 5k on Saturday mornings @9.30. I have ran 10k a few times, got under 41mins a few times. I focus mainly on shorter distances and speed work smile.gif

+Quote Post
RAPID
post Nov 18 2018, 10:32 PM
Post #116

✟ CARPE ✟ DIEM ✟
Group Icon

Member No.: 7,943

QUOTE (SuarezPower @ Nov 18 2018, 02:12 PM) *
My training scheduling changes from week to week. I try to get at least one 10k run in once a week, sometimes I canrun 4 days straight. I have been running all my life, so I'm naturally quite fit smile.gif. It's how I feel and I always do the parkrun 5k on Saturday mornings @9.30. I have ran 10k a few times, got under 41mins a few times. I focus mainly on shorter distances and speed work smile.gif

So do 60m... smile.gif

--------------------
He's been with us for years
Through the lower leagues
Playing as wing-back
It's our mighty Matt

Oooooh Matt Doherty
Old-gold property
Always has been true
Wanderers' number 2

★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★
“RAPID scores goals like Marco van Basten(PTC)
“RAPID is the Magical Negro whose special powers make us all better at Fantasy Footie”(scoobyliscious)

+Quote Post
Ice66
post Nov 19 2018, 01:13 AM
Post #117

Advanced Member

QUOTE (SuarezPower @ Nov 18 2018, 11:12 AM) *

41 mins is pretty darn fast. that's not far away from your 5k average time. impressive. i haven't been running that much and i started quite late in my life to pick up running. the best 10k time for me is 50 mins, so i'm pretty average.

+Quote Post
vsberlina
post Nov 20 2018, 12:11 AM
Post #118

VSBerlina
Group Icon

QUOTE (Ice66 @ Nov 19 2018, 12:13 PM) *
41 mins is pretty darn fast. that's not far away from your 5k average time. impressive. i haven't been running that much and i started quite late in my life to pick up running. the best 10k time for me is 50 mins, so i'm pretty average.

When I was playing football, I would run 10 km in around 40 minutes (give or take a minute given conditions and how I felt).
I don't think it was anything great. I wasn't anywhere near the best at the club, and our training focused mainly on interval training (short sprints, jog, sprint). For 5 km, I think 18 mins would have been easy, given it's a shorter distance and so you can go harder for a majority of the time (I could sustain 185+ bpm for 10 minutes and 200+ for 2 mins up until the age of 32). I think if you have anaerobic fitness, you find you also have good aerobic fitness.

Leg weight work in the gym to build muscles certainly helped for jogging. Low impact core work like Pilates and Yoga were also a massive help at significantly increasing performance. If you have good flexibility and you can get 10% more from every stride, you'll find you can cover 10% more distance with the same effort.

--------------------

The Real Dream Team
Fantasysportnet

+Quote Post
vsberlina
post Nov 20 2018, 12:16 AM
Post #119

VSBerlina
Group Icon

By the way, the world record for 10 kms is 26:18 mins, so at 40 mins, you're 50% slower than the best.

At 40 mins, you're averaging 15 kmph, so the WR pace would be around 22-23 kmph.
If you were running along side them, they'd literally just walk right passed you. laugh.gif

Marathon runners average 20 kmph for the 42 km they run. Mind blowing. ohmy.gif

--------------------

The Real Dream Team
Fantasysportnet

+Quote Post

6 Pages V  « < 4 5 6
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 10th December 2018 - 07:44 AM