Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
SuarezPower
post Mar 1 2019, 11:22 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 66,335

I thought I wasn't gonna do this, caved in the end.

I was so out of the loop, for some reason I thought deadline was last weekend and was rushing to get team in 3/4hours. I have barely done any research on this, will bank on my knowledge of last few years being enough biggrin.gif. I usually lose interest towards the end, also don't like the unlimited transfers...

+Quote Post
hsctitans
post Mar 1 2019, 07:59 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 13,184

I'm in, going to try and stick with it until the end laugh.gif

Won't be as much fun without Almiron

--------------------
2016/17 Arena Runner-ups with The Renegades
2017/18 Arena Champions with The Renegades

+Quote Post
Albert
post Mar 26 2019, 07:30 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 44,124

I've entered my Stokie Bloke team. Thanks for setting the league up.

--------------------
Winner of Sultans Champions FPL League 2016/17
3rd Place Fiso FPL Cup 2018
1st Sultans Euro FPL Classic League 2018/19
1st Starting 11 FPL Classic League 2018/19
2nd Starting 11 FPL H2H League 2018/19

+Quote Post
Peterorange
post Mar 27 2019, 10:30 AM
Post #5

Its all a blur
Group Icon

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 2,556

Got off to a blinder - missed the second week deadline biggrin.gif. I like how it is not obvious which the 'top teams' are at the start of a new season. No loading up with the equivalent of City and Liverpool players in this!

+Quote Post
Albert
post Jun 8 2019, 07:14 AM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 44,124

So, we're coming to the end of the Spring Season or Part One of the MLS Fantasy Competition. Personally, I find the two-stage season frustrating and unnecessary. Last years introduction of the Spring/Fall split caused a mass exodus of fantasy managers in many of the leagues I entered. Was it natural wastage or caused by the two-part season? We'll soon see if this pattern will continue into this year's Fall Season.
Having said all that, being a fantasy addict I'll most likely see out the remainder of the MLS season. But next year? Rant over.

--------------------
Winner of Sultans Champions FPL League 2016/17
3rd Place Fiso FPL Cup 2018
1st Sultans Euro FPL Classic League 2018/19
1st Starting 11 FPL Classic League 2018/19
2nd Starting 11 FPL H2H League 2018/19

+Quote Post
Peterorange
post Jun 11 2019, 09:55 AM
Post #7

Its all a blur
Group Icon

QUOTE (Albert @ Jun 8 2019, 08:14 AM) *
So, we're coming to the end of the Spring Season or Part One of the MLS Fantasy Competition. Personally, I find the two-stage season frustrating and unnecessary. Last years introduction of the Spring/Fall split caused a mass exodus of fantasy managers in many of the leagues I entered. Was it natural wastage or caused by the two-part season? We'll soon see if this pattern will continue into this year's Fall Season.
Having said all that, being a fantasy addict I'll most likely see out the remainder of the MLS season. But next year? Rant over.

Mixed feelings. I was making (very slow!) headway into catching you up, after missing a couple of deadlines earlier in the season. But it is good to have a fresh go.

There are always a hell of lot of players in every ff game who play for about 3 weeks then quit. So it is a good thing we get the chance to lose the deadwood. I don't think they quit because of the break.

I'd like to join a couple of leagues - any recommendations?

+Quote Post
scoobyliscious
post Jun 11 2019, 03:23 PM
Post #8

Ambassador of Grandiose Vision & Pomposity
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 1,142

QUOTE (Peterorange @ Jun 11 2019, 05:55 AM) *
Mixed feelings. I was making (very slow!) headway into catching you up, after missing a couple of deadlines earlier in the season. But it is good to have a fresh go.

There are always a hell of lot of players in every ff game who play for about 3 weeks then quit. So it is a good thing we get the chance to lose the deadwood. I don't think they quit because of the break.

I'd like to join a couple of leagues - any recommendations?

I also think the entire league is taking a break for the Gold Cup? I really should pay more attention to my local league (especially now that I have a local team in FC Cincinnati; and I agree, the less said about that name, the better - should have left it at Dutch Lions)

--------------------
I used to stay out late and try to walk the Muse home. Now I get up fresh-faced at 7 a.m. and take advantage of her while she's passing out.
-Bono

+Quote Post
Peterorange
post Jul 22 2019, 09:16 AM
Post #9

Its all a blur
Group Icon

QUOTE (scoobyliscious @ Jun 11 2019, 04:23 PM) *
I also think the entire league is taking a break for the Gold Cup? I really should pay more attention to my local league (especially now that I have a local team in FC Cincinnati; and I agree, the less said about that name, the better - should have left it at Dutch Lions)

Cincinnati are really bad - sorry. I've just watched two of their games as I picked some of their players as they had a dg. They really stank the place out. Never again! Their only decent player is Hines

Atlanta and other teams seem to have done alright right with the expansion draft but it seems like FCC just picked up all the rejects. Their stand-out player is Pines, beast of a defender!

Re Gold Cup I really don't get why a patriotic country like the US schedule their national games at the same time as club fixtures - like exactly the same time!

+Quote Post
scoobyliscious
post Jul 22 2019, 06:30 PM
Post #10

Ambassador of Grandiose Vision & Pomposity
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 1,142

QUOTE (Peterorange @ Jul 22 2019, 05:16 AM) *
Cincinnati are really bad - sorry. I've just watched two of their games as I picked some of their players as they had a dg. They really stank the place out. Never again! Their only decent player is Hines

Atlanta and other teams seem to have done alright right with the expansion draft but it seems like FCC just picked up all the rejects. Their stand-out player is Pines, beast of a defender!

Re Gold Cup I really don't get why a patriotic country like the US schedule their national games at the same time as club fixtures - like exactly the same time!

Oh, FCC are new levels of Not Good. Even if the players selected were decent (and many / most of them aren't), they have 4 defensive midfielders who can't even pass the ball and a complete lack of attackers who can pass a ball.

Then again, much like the red half of Manchester, the person responsible for pulling the strings is more of a commercial / business type, and not anyone with a background in footie (speaking of Atlanta, my current favorite Supporters Group Name belongs to the Footie Mob, a play on seminal ATL hip-hop group Goodie Mob, which gave the world Cee-Lo, among other things). I'll let you draw your own parallels and conclusions as to the similarity, or lack thereof, to the on-field product.

As for the club fixtures, much like a season in Sweden or Russia, it's a weather thing. Trust me: you really can't be playing meaningful games through much of the US and Canada (New York, Philadelphia, Minnesota, Montreal, Toronto) through the winter months. In some of those places, merely being outside during the depths of Winter can be dangerous (waaaayyyyy back in my school days, To Build a Fire was commonly a part of the curriculum: it's a story about a man slowly dying of hypothermia), especially when (inevitably) the temperatures drop (for a few days or a week). For example, what if a game was scheduled for Sunday, February 15, 2015 in Cincinnati, when the day's warmest point was a still-chilly -10 degrees C (with a "feels like" of -17 degrees C throughout the evening; according to https://www.worldweatheronline.com/lang/en-...y/ohio/us.aspx). Believe me: the panic sets in when the weather-person says any of the following: Bomb Cyclone, Alberta Clipper or Chinook, all of which basically mean, "you are going to freeze the moment you step outside."

So, we have a "summer" schedule for our games (and we can talk about the unplayability of Florida in August, when the heat / humidity is just-as or almost as dangerous as the cold in the north in Winter - see: 1194 World Cup Netherlands v. Morocco from Orlando on 29 June), regardless of any conflict with either the Gold Cup or the World Cup.

Oh - and I've been impressed by rookie defender Pines, but he plays for DC United. At least, the one I'm thinking of (really tall, "good feet for a big man" type playing wide, for now, but clearly destined for the Center, right?)

The best FCC player is the work-in-progress that is Frankie Amaya (first pick of the draft) who shows flashes, but needs to better understand the defensive side of the game (then again, with a team that leaks goals like FCC, you could easily say that everyone needs to better understand the defensive side of the game). At least he can bring a ball under his control with his first touch, keep it there with his second and play a decent pass forward. Which doesn't sound like much, but is, apparently, revolutionary for this squad.

--------------------
I used to stay out late and try to walk the Muse home. Now I get up fresh-faced at 7 a.m. and take advantage of her while she's passing out.
-Bono

+Quote Post
Peterorange
post Jul 24 2019, 09:12 AM
Post #11

Its all a blur
Group Icon

QUOTE (scoobyliscious @ Jul 22 2019, 07:30 PM) *
Oh, FCC are new levels of Not Good. Even if the players selected were decent (and many / most of them aren't), they have 4 defensive midfielders who can't even pass the ball and a complete lack of attackers who can pass a ball.

Then again, much like the red half of Manchester, the person responsible for pulling the strings is more of a commercial / business type, and not anyone with a background in footie (speaking of Atlanta, my current favorite Supporters Group Name belongs to the Footie Mob, a play on seminal ATL hip-hop group Goodie Mob, which gave the world Cee-Lo, among other things). I'll let you draw your own parallels and conclusions as to the similarity, or lack thereof, to the on-field product.

As for the club fixtures, much like a season in Sweden or Russia, it's a weather thing. Trust me: you really can't be playing meaningful games through much of the US and Canada (New York, Philadelphia, Minnesota, Montreal, Toronto) through the winter months. In some of those places, merely being outside during the depths of Winter can be dangerous (waaaayyyyy back in my school days, To Build a Fire was commonly a part of the curriculum: it's a story about a man slowly dying of hypothermia), especially when (inevitably) the temperatures drop (for a few days or a week). For example, what if a game was scheduled for Sunday, February 15, 2015 in Cincinnati, when the day's warmest point was a still-chilly -10 degrees C (with a "feels like" of -17 degrees C throughout the evening; according to https://www.worldweatheronline.com/lang/en-...y/ohio/us.aspx). Believe me: the panic sets in when the weather-person says any of the following: Bomb Cyclone, Alberta Clipper or Chinook, all of which basically mean, "you are going to freeze the moment you step outside."

So, we have a "summer" schedule for our games (and we can talk about the unplayability of Florida in August, when the heat / humidity is just-as or almost as dangerous as the cold in the north in Winter - see: 1194 World Cup Netherlands v. Morocco from Orlando on 29 June), regardless of any conflict with either the Gold Cup or the World Cup.

Oh - and I've been impressed by rookie defender Pines, but he plays for DC United. At least, the one I'm thinking of (really tall, "good feet for a big man" type playing wide, for now, but clearly destined for the Center, right?)

The best FCC player is the work-in-progress that is Frankie Amaya (first pick of the draft) who shows flashes, but needs to better understand the defensive side of the game (then again, with a team that leaks goals like FCC, you could easily say that everyone needs to better understand the defensive side of the game). At least he can bring a ball under his control with his first touch, keep it there with his second and play a decent pass forward. Which doesn't sound like much, but is, apparently, revolutionary for this squad.

I get the timing of the season, but surely they could have a break for a US game - or at least not play at exactly the same time?!

Pines - yes DC, how embarrassing. I watched Atlanta v DC too on Sunday night and managed to transpose him across. I blame the heat (it is a massive 91 degrees here, Brits literally dissolve in this weather, there are only 2 million of us left now biggrin.gif).

OK so FCC have no good players biggrin.gif. Ledesma (sp?) I thought did OK in the first game but was strangely dropped for the second.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th August 2019 - 04:23 AM