post Apr 4 2016, 06:16 PM
Post #1

King of Sheep
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 4,598

QUOTE (petpethai @ Apr 19 2015, 03:37 PM) *
One Day by David Nicholls

Recommended this to few of my friends and all of them love it. I'd read it 3 times rolleyes.gif

Wow, this thread is pretty dead. Might pick this one up though pph. Thanks.

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
BRFC
post Apr 4 2016, 06:21 PM
Post #2

King of Sheep
Group Icon

Some of the ones I've read this past year that I likes:
"Hotel New Hampshire" by John Irving
"Number 9 dream" by David Mitchell
"The Castle" by Kafka

Of course also a bunch of Dutch books biggrin.gif

Read some of the other Mitchells too, but none come close to Number 9 dream.

+Quote Post
D. B.
post Apr 4 2016, 06:52 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 44,564

Just recently read The Turner Diaries by William Luther Pierce.

Crikey shock.gif

+Quote Post
Netley Lucas
post Apr 4 2016, 07:15 PM
Post #4

The Fall

Member No.: 44,432

Audiobooks count? huh.gif

The Complete Talking Heads written by Alan Bennett and read by the actors/actresses from the TV series years ago. Funny and of course deeply touching. 10/10

+Quote Post
BRFC
post Apr 4 2016, 07:36 PM
Post #5

King of Sheep
Group Icon

QUOTE (Netley Lucas @ Apr 4 2016, 09:15 PM) *
Audiobooks count? huh.gif

The Complete Talking Heads written by Alan Bennett and read by the actors/actresses from the TV series years ago. Funny and of course deeply touching. 10/10

Of course thumbsup.gif

Never heard of though laugh.gif

+Quote Post
crazylegs
post Apr 4 2016, 07:44 PM
Post #6

Sodalis Extraordinaire!

Member No.: 6,379

Speaking of audiobooks

I'm half way through "The Watchmaker of Filigree street"

Utterly beguiling, The Watchmaker of Filigree Street blends historical events with dazzling flights of fancy to plunge readers into a strange and magical past, where time, destiny, genius and a clockwork octopus collide

Its not bad at all wink.gif

--------------------

WCGrid
I'm not grouchy by nature, it takes constant effort!

S11 Arena Champion 2017/18 with Renegades!
S11 Arena League Champion of the season 2016/17
S11 Arena Champion 2011/12 with Dexters!

+Quote Post
scoobyliscious
post Apr 4 2016, 11:06 PM
Post #7

Ambassador of Grandiose Vision & Pomposity
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,142

I keep waiting on George R. R. to finish A Song of Ice and Fire. The fact that the TV series is now ahead of the books is irksome, since now I have to worry about spoilers.

Trying to work my way through The Beekeeper's Apprentice but I find myself, once again, lamenting the more modern approaches to Sherlock (cough cough execrable Robert Downey Jr. "action" cough cough crap cough cough lost the spirit of the original cough cough). At least Laurie King (the author) has a clear understanding of "the game" even while she both plays, and subverts, it (for those not familiar, "the game" occurs when super-nerds pretend all of the tales of Sherlock Holmes are non-fiction, and Watson a legitimate diarist). Somehow, though, the mid-novel switch to an undefined, all-encompassing villain has lessened, rather than deepened, the mystery. It's much of a muchness and a little too "Nefarious They" (as in, "they say ...") for my tastes. And it feels cheap to praise the characters when one of them is perhaps the most famous literary character of them all.

I'm also slowly working my way through Jeffrey Steingarten (food writer for Esquire and maybe the New York Times?) collections. He's great (his lament for phen-fen is hilarious), but essay collections can only hold so much amusement. Great for airplanes, but I want a full novel when I'm lying on the beach for vacation. What can I say: I need plot and a story to keep my interest (same goes for TV or Movies - I don't expect complicated plot or a surprise twist, but I need something to keep me interested in what happens next).

I need some brain candy, though, so I'm looking for a new Sci-Fi (or Fantasy, tbh) series, since ASOIAF appears to have gone to the TV. Any recommendations?

--------------------
I used to stay out late and try to walk the Muse home. Now I get up fresh-faced at 7 a.m. and take advantage of her while she's passing out.
-Bono

+Quote Post
PTC
post Apr 5 2016, 11:49 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member
Group Icon

Group: Patron
Member No.: 2,846

QUOTE (scoobyliscious @ Apr 4 2016, 07:06 PM) *
I keep waiting on George R. R. to finish A Song of Ice and Fire. The fact that the TV series is now ahead of the books is irksome, since now I have to worry about spoilers.

I need some brain candy, though, so I'm looking for a new Sci-Fi (or Fantasy, tbh) series, since ASOIAF appears to have gone to the TV. Any recommendations?

The Game of Thrones people are going to give up waiting before too long and will just make up their own storylines. The man needs to get a move on.

I haven't read them, but I did download them to my Kindle...Kevin Hearne's Iron Druid Chronicles. No idea if it's your cup of tea so don't hate me if it's a load of nonsense.

Have you read Stephen King's Dark Tower series? Been a while since I read them but I seem to remember enjoying them.

+Quote Post
PTC
post Apr 5 2016, 11:52 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member
Group Icon

QUOTE (crazylegs @ Apr 4 2016, 03:44 PM) *
Speaking of audiobooks

I've never been able to get into audio books. I wish I could, if only for the convenience, but I just can't do it.

Maybe I just haven't found the right narrators to appeal to my sensitive ears. biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
crazylegs
post Apr 6 2016, 09:37 AM
Post #10

Sodalis Extraordinaire!

Member No.: 6,379

QUOTE (PTC @ Apr 6 2016, 12:52 AM) *
I've never been able to get into audio books. I wish I could, if only for the convenience, but I just can't do it.

Maybe I just haven't found the right narrators to appeal to my sensitive ears. biggrin.gif

I found it hard at first but made my transition easier by listening to a few autobiographies first that were narrated by their authors, then slowly weaned myself onto books read by well known narrators and then onto standard audio's

--------------------

WCGrid
I'm not grouchy by nature, it takes constant effort!

S11 Arena Champion 2017/18 with Renegades!
S11 Arena League Champion of the season 2016/17
S11 Arena Champion 2011/12 with Dexters!

+Quote Post
scoobyliscious
post Apr 6 2016, 01:58 PM
Post #11

Group Icon

QUOTE (PTC @ Apr 5 2016, 07:52 PM) *

QUOTE (crazylegs @ Apr 6 2016, 05:37 AM) *
I found it hard at first but made my transition easier by listening to a few autobiographies first that were narrated by their authors, then slowly weaned myself onto books read by well known narrators and then onto standard audio's

Take a good, old-fashioned Road Trip. Pick something you're fairly certain you will like, maybe even something you have already read. Find a good narrator (I haven't done the research, but I'm sure there are more well-known narrators out there). Get in your car, turn on the book and start driving.

Audiobooks are even better than good music for melting the miles (and miles and miles) away. The Wife and I recently traveled to Asheville, North Carolina for a wedding. It's about a 6 hour drive (one way) for us. We listened to (most of) Ruth Ware's In a Dark, Dark Wood (the book itself made NPR's best of 2015 list and the narrator is the same as for the Bridget Jones books, which, sure, is a recommendation). I like that drive (pretty mountains and trees), but I've done it before (it's basically to and through Great Smoky Mountain National Park), so it was nice to have a mystery help the miles go by easily. Particularly if you are stuck up hill behind an 18-wheeler. We made great time, particularly on the way home (those last few hours through Kentucky aren't exactly the most thrilling drive) and I "read" a book during a 3-day extended weekend vacation. All in all, a pretty good deal.

--------------------
I used to stay out late and try to walk the Muse home. Now I get up fresh-faced at 7 a.m. and take advantage of her while she's passing out.
-Bono

+Quote Post
scoobyliscious
post Apr 6 2016, 02:02 PM
Post #12

Group Icon

QUOTE (PTC @ Apr 5 2016, 07:49 PM) *
The Game of Thrones people are going to give up waiting before too long and will just make up their own storylines. The man needs to get a move on.

I haven't read them, but I did download them to my Kindle...Kevin Hearne's Iron Druid Chronicles. No idea if it's your cup of tea so don't hate me if it's a load of nonsense.

Have you read Stephen King's Dark Tower series? Been a while since I read them but I seem to remember enjoying them.

I'll have to look up the Iron Druid Chronicles. It sounds right up my alley.

As for Stephen King, I'm not a huge fan. Just doesn't do it for me. I have a more elaborate explanation about not liking his characters and the whole supernatural explains all, even if it lacks internal consistency, but in the end it boils down to: just doesn't do it for me.

--------------------
-Bono

+Quote Post
JFG
post Apr 6 2016, 02:14 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Member No.: 42,428

QUOTE (scoobyliscious @ Apr 6 2016, 03:02 PM) *
As for Stephen King, I'm not a huge fan. Just doesn't do it for me.

His early stuff was terrific but he peaked about 20 years ago.

This post has been edited by JFG: Apr 6 2016, 02:14 PM

--------------------

You are false data.
False data can act only as a distraction.
Therefore, I shall refuse to perceive.

+Quote Post
PTC
post Apr 6 2016, 03:49 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member
Group Icon

QUOTE (scoobyliscious @ Apr 6 2016, 09:58 AM) *
Audiobooks are even better than good music for melting the miles (and miles and miles) away. The Wife and I recently traveled to Asheville, North Carolina for a wedding. It's about a 6 hour drive (one way) for us. We listened to (most of) Ruth Ware's In a Dark, Dark Wood (the book itself made NPR's best of 2015 list and the narrator is the same as for the Bridget Jones books, which, sure, is a recommendation).

I have that Ruth Ware book on my library wait list. wink.gif

Asheville is a great place. Last time I was there was also for a wedding, in a barn, somewhere near Biltmore.

+Quote Post
PTC
post Apr 6 2016, 03:55 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member
Group Icon

QUOTE (crazylegs @ Apr 6 2016, 05:37 AM) *

I just looked through the stuff I sort of randomly downloaded on my Kindle a few months back and here are some of the autobiographies that I found, but have yet to read:
David Jason
Marilyn Manson
Morrissey
Ellen Degeneres laugh.gif ohmy.gif No idea how this got here, but I'm sure I'll still be reading it. biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
PTC
post Apr 6 2016, 03:59 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member
Group Icon

QUOTE (scoobyliscious @ Apr 6 2016, 10:02 AM) *
I'll have to look up the Iron Druid Chronicles. It sounds right up my alley.

As for Stephen King, I'm not a huge fan. Just doesn't do it for me. I have a more elaborate explanation about not liking his characters and the whole supernatural explains all, even if it lacks internal consistency, but in the end it boils down to: just doesn't do it for me.

Another fantasy series I have downloaded, but have yet to look at: Jim Butcher "The Dresden Files".

+Quote Post
scoobyliscious
post Apr 6 2016, 05:07 PM
Post #17

Group Icon

QUOTE (PTC @ Apr 6 2016, 11:49 AM) *
I have that Ruth Ware book on my library wait list. wink.gif

Asheville is a great place. Last time I was there was also for a wedding, in a barn, somewhere near Biltmore.

In that case, I would actually recommend the audio book. The narrator does a good job of differentiating dialog by character (not necessarily the easiest to do). If you are already looking to read the book, it's as good a place as any to start with the listening.

Or, you could just be someone who doesn't like to listen, because he reads fast enough. I'll admit that I only like the audio book when I'm in a non-reading environment, like a long-distance car ride (as a child, I actually read a lot in a car, but these days it's just as likely to lead to serious nausea / car sickness as anything else).

--------------------
-Bono

+Quote Post
xabirocks
post Apr 7 2016, 02:29 AM
Post #18

Sparingly active. PM me if you need to reach me.

Member No.: 5,782

Asheville brings back memories from over 10 years ago, when I was in NC. Really miss the prettiness of the place, and the state in general. crying.gif It's where I went to school, they were some of my best years. Thanks for rekindling them.

I've been looking for starting audiobooks myself - never been an avid physical book reader, so I've wanted to give this a try. I'll plan to start with scoob's reco.

+Quote Post
Netley Lucas
post Apr 29 2016, 05:29 PM
Post #19

The Fall

Member No.: 44,432

Not at all sure why I got the High-Rise audiobook this month. It's about a massive block of expensive flats in London and how the different classes of people/occupations are separated and resent one another to the point of action. Narrated very well by the main actor in the film it chugs along quite nicely - into about 2 hours of 6 atm - but not a barrel of laughs so far and getting darker, bit Clockwork Orangey. 7/10 so far, it's okay.

+Quote Post
RAPID
post Nov 11 2017, 07:25 PM
Post #20

✟ CARPE ✟ DIEM ✟
Group Icon

Member No.: 7,943

Hey, what's to read?! Probably in original (English)... thinking.gif

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 11th December 2018 - 05:53 AM