BRFC
post Nov 14 2017, 04:33 PM
Post #21

King of Sheep
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 4,598

Best thread ever.

Everyone familiair with the Untappd app?

The Dutch are working hard to found a good beer culture too. Over the last 5 years micro breweries have sprung up everywhere with some excellent ones here and there. It's still maturing though, and I still envy the exciting American beer culture, the classy Belgian beers like Duvel, Chouffe and the monk-brewed Trappisten beers and innovative beer countries like Italy, but we hold our own these days. It's much more than the bland Heinekens or Amstels nowadays. smile.gif

As for the seasonal beers: I'm not a fan of overly sweet beers. The bocks and darker ales tend to be a little too much for me in that regard. I need my beers fresh and hoppy. Big fan of Gulpener's Ur-Hop here. It's an IPL brewed using dry hopping. So it's a lager, which makes it more subtle, fresh and balanced beer than a lot of the IPA's gone wrong that Scoobs is talking about. I doubt you'll find it at your local supermarket though.

This post has been edited by BRFC: Nov 14 2017, 04:33 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
tigerjames
post Nov 14 2017, 04:46 PM
Post #22

autre ne veux
Group Icon

Group: Patron
Member No.: 2,222

QUOTE (scoobyliscious @ Nov 14 2017, 03:40 PM) *
Speaking of cold-weather beers, anyone else looking forward to the Christmas-themed and spice seasonal varieties? My local / favorite is Christian Moerlein Christkindl. I literally skip down the aisle of my local grocery store when I buy the season's first six-pack. Just an easy-drinking winter warmer, perfect for in front of the fireplace. Anyone have any suggestions for other winter brews?

Cheers for recommending them beers thumbsup.gif ...Will keep an eye out for them.

For the Christmas/Winter beers

Holts of Manchester...great Manchester brewery that does great craft beers

Sixex
6.0% traditional beer for real players
Brewed to a traditional recipe with rich crystal and black malts to give a distinctive roasted flavour.

Tasting guide reference
Appearance Dark, Smell Rich, Malty, Fruitcake, Taste Full bodied, Rich, Malty
Manchester brewery
Really nice beer to savour around a nice open fire...6% but the alcohol is well hidden
and its all about the taste.

Another lovely one is "Old Tom" by Robinson's brewery

Strong dark ale. Beer for the cold times IMO, Strong alcohol think its 8.5%, but it's again is well hidden with the explosion of taste in every mouthful...By no means a lawnmower beer, one or two are lovely, nice treat now and again.

"OLD TOM CROWNED WORLDS BEST ALE The World Beer Awards are the global awards selecting the very best internationally recognised beer styles. Organised by www.tastingbeers.com, this annual tasting selects, awards and promotes the 'Best Beers in the World' to consumers throughout the world."

--------------------

Tigerjames
Best Yahoo Finish 19th(12/13), 33rd(14/15)
Best Sky fantasy football finish 31st (14/15)
Best Metro fantasy football finish 11th(11/12)
"alien2005" Simply the Best
HELP STARTING 11

+Quote Post
scoobyliscious
post Nov 14 2017, 07:12 PM
Post #23

Ambassador of Grandiose Vision & Pomposity
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,142

QUOTE (BRFC @ Nov 14 2017, 11:33 AM) *
Best thread ever.

The Dutch are working hard to found a good beer culture too. Over the last 5 years micro breweries have sprung up everywhere with some excellent ones here and there. It's still maturing though, and I still envy the exciting American beer culture, the classy Belgian beers like Duvel, Chouffe and the monk-brewed Trappisten beers and innovative beer countries like Italy, but we hold our own these days. It's much more than the bland Heinekens or Amstels nowadays. smile.gif

As for the seasonal beers: I'm not a fan of overly sweet beers. The bocks and darker ales tend to be a little too much for me in that regard. I need my beers fresh and hoppy. Big fan of Gulpener's Ur-Hop here. It's an IPL brewed using dry hopping. So it's a lager, which makes it more subtle, fresh and balanced beer than a lot of the IPA's gone wrong that Scoobs is talking about. I doubt you'll find it at your local supermarket though.

Ah, my friend, sending me a site in Dutch only. My Dutch is worse than my German, which is worse than my French and I can only read a menu in French because it's all Latin vulgate to me (too much Spanish / Latin roots for science classes).

Fortunately, I live near an alcohol superstore (no, really. Picture a supermarket with nothing but alcohol: beer, wine, vodka, whiskey of the Scotch and Bourbon varieties, gin, tequila, liquers) and, while they don't show any Gulpener in stock, it's precisely the kind of place that will order it for you.

I think I have previously stated: I'm a fan of Bock. We have a "festival" to celebrate the style: Bockfest, during which I, inevitably, end the day drunker than I thought I would. I usually attend Saturday morning, as a friend runs the opening 5K race, so there is a decent crowd without having to worry about too many people. One year, The Wife & I were at Bockfest when we received a text message: Fear the Goat. Apparently, someone had a little too much the night before. Undaunted, we proceeded to try as many of the Bocks as possible (personal favorite: we combined a maple bock with a bacon bock, for a beer that tasted of breakfast). Naturally, we should have paid attention to the warning, as that evening The Wife slept soundly on the living room floor, while I "entertained" some friends for dinner (really: I managed to stay awake long enough to help them cook and eat the dinner we had planned). I can understand Bock being too strong or too sweet for some, but for me, it's the beer of Spring.

As for the American beer culture, it's become a bit too much of a muchness, if I'm honest. There are lots of good options out there, but you have to really look for anything outstanding. And there is a lot of meh out there as well. Fortunately, I live in a town with a strong German heritage (hence, you know, Bockfest) and brewing tradition, so I can pretty much stick to the locals and be happy. When I travel, try the local flavor (side note: you think Italy is innovative? I must have been on too much of a tourist-track, as I was less impressed with the brews. Then again, I was also in Florence, Rome and Pescara, none of which are northern enough to be beer towns). And, you know, avoid anything that seems like it's too much marketing for too little zymurgy (see? Latin Greek roots).

--------------------
I used to stay out late and try to walk the Muse home. Now I get up fresh-faced at 7 a.m. and take advantage of her while she's passing out.
-Bono

+Quote Post
pogophiles
post Nov 14 2017, 07:55 PM
Post #24

Caveat emptorres ipsa loquitur

Group: Members
Member No.: 14,312

QUOTE (BRFC @ Nov 14 2017, 10:33 AM) *

Yes indeed! Only way I can keep up anymore...

QUOTE (BRFC @ Nov 14 2017, 10:33 AM) *

Very good to hear as I have a few days in Amsterdam next month. Will have to become better acquainted with Dutch beer!

+Quote Post
crazylegs
post Nov 14 2017, 08:03 PM
Post #25

Sodalis Extraordinaire!

Member No.: 6,379

I likey this thread! smile.gif

Tiger one of my alltime favs is Wadworth 6X

Have had Old Tom before and it reminded me more of a porter to be honest with its strong alcohol content, flavours were bootiful, great for cold winter nights in front of a real open fire wink.gif

Scooby I lovin the maple and bacon bock hybrid beer laugh.gif

This post has been edited by crazylegs: Nov 14 2017, 08:04 PM

--------------------

WCGrid
I'm not grouchy by nature, it takes constant effort!

S11 Arena Champion 2017/18 with Renegades!
S11 Arena League Champion of the season 2016/17
S11 Arena Champion 2011/12 with Dexters!

+Quote Post
tigerjames
post Nov 14 2017, 08:52 PM
Post #26

autre ne veux
Group Icon

Group: Patron
Member No.: 2,222

QUOTE (crazylegs @ Nov 14 2017, 08:03 PM) *
I likey this thread! smile.gif

Tiger one of my alltime favs is Wadworth 6X

Had one of these when Aldi had their "real ale" special event this year,
but cannot really remember what it tasted like rolleyes.gif ..Think I was on a real ale session and by
the time I got to it they all tasted nice biggrin.gif
Will try again agree.gif

--------------------

Tigerjames
Best Yahoo Finish 19th(12/13), 33rd(14/15)
Best Sky fantasy football finish 31st (14/15)
Best Metro fantasy football finish 11th(11/12)
"alien2005" Simply the Best
HELP STARTING 11

+Quote Post
RAPID
post Nov 14 2017, 10:20 PM
Post #27

...and Justice for All

Member No.: 7,943

Thanks BRFC, I knew you'd praise the Belgium one!!! thumbsup.gif

--------------------

“RAPID scores goals like Marco van Basten(PTC)
“RAPID is the Magical Negro whose special powers make us all better at Fantasy Footie”(scoobyliscious)

+Quote Post
the_juice
post Nov 15 2017, 02:57 AM
Post #28

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,662

mmmm beer!

yes tiger, westmalle is one of the best trappist. To be honest i bought a case of Rochefort 10's last christmas and still have 3 in the fridge, i just don't feel like them. i think i prefer the 8's. My favourite Belgian beer is Tripel Karmeliet, have any of you tried it? they don't come around very often though....at least where I live.

Like Scoob said and BRFC agrees with, just too many shitty IPA's out. When you get a good one, definatly taste great on a hot day. Sierra Nevada make one called Torpedo, the hoppiest i've ever had and enjoyed.

This post has been edited by the_juice: Nov 15 2017, 02:58 AM

+Quote Post
Netley Lucas
post Nov 15 2017, 01:30 PM
Post #29

Advanced Member

Member No.: 44,432

Ah it quickly goes from a pint of beer to something else doesn't it? Beer is something you can aim very low and still enjoy very much and that's roughly where I am on it. While I do intend to imbibe a great deal of decent(ish) ale this winter there's still something to be said for dashing to the offy 16 cans of Stella from Mr Patel.

--------------------
S11 World Cup League | https://fantasy.fifa.com/en/home XT98LEOG

+Quote Post
BRFC
post Nov 15 2017, 02:39 PM
Post #30

King of Sheep
Group Icon

QUOTE (RAPID @ Nov 14 2017, 11:20 PM) *
Thanks BRFC, I knew you'd praise the Belgium one!!! thumbsup.gif

QUOTE (RAPID @ Nov 13 2017, 09:47 PM) *
Thought about creating a beer thread... smile.gif

I prefer the Belgium ones! yes.gif

Yeah, some forever favorites right there. There's just so much tradition and knowledge over there. It's amazing thumbsup.gif

+Quote Post
BRFC
post Nov 15 2017, 02:44 PM
Post #31

King of Sheep
Group Icon

QUOTE (pogophiles @ Nov 14 2017, 08:55 PM) *
Yes indeed! Only way I can keep up anymore...

Very good to hear as I have a few days in Amsterdam next month. Will have to become better acquainted with Dutch beer!

Let me know if you need any tips. Amsterdam is buzzing at the moment. So much going on, it's super exciting. Rubbish football team though, but luckily this is not the thread Scoobs and I will be going over that one *cough*Ajax 1-Utrecht 2*cough*

If you're looking for good beers over there, look no further than Arendnest though.

Brouwerij het IJ is also very good.

+Quote Post
BRFC
post Nov 15 2017, 02:54 PM
Post #32

King of Sheep
Group Icon

QUOTE (the_juice @ Nov 15 2017, 03:57 AM) *
mmmm beer!

yes tiger, westmalle is one of the best trappist. To be honest i bought a case of Rochefort 10's last christmas and still have 3 in the fridge, i just don't feel like them. i think i prefer the 8's. My favourite Belgian beer is Tripel Karmeliet, have any of you tried it? they don't come around very often though....at least where I live.

Like Scoob said and BRFC agrees with, just too many shitty IPA's out. When you get a good one, definatly taste great on a hot day. Sierra Nevada make one called Torpedo, the hoppiest i've ever had and enjoyed.

Great beer. Heavy on the alcohol, but with a very nice balance. Nice call. Right up there with Duvel as far as I'm concerned.

You guys that like the darker beers: look out for Kasteel bier. It's one of the few I tolerate and even appreciate.

Edit. I even found it in Scoob's TPS shop. Great name btw. http://thepartysource.com/beer/import-beer/kasteel-donker

This post has been edited by BRFC: Nov 15 2017, 02:57 PM

+Quote Post
RAPID
post Nov 15 2017, 04:07 PM
Post #33

...and Justice for All

Member No.: 7,943

Now this is the real brain killer...

I tried... been killed! biggrin.gif stars.gif

+Quote Post
the_juice
post Nov 15 2017, 04:57 PM
Post #34

Advanced Member

Nice link to the Gulpener. looks refreshing. I'll keep my eyes open for that one shok.gif

+Quote Post
Netley Lucas
post Nov 15 2017, 05:06 PM
Post #35

Advanced Member

Member No.: 44,432

--------------------
S11 World Cup League | https://fantasy.fifa.com/en/home XT98LEOG

+Quote Post
the_juice
post Nov 15 2017, 05:07 PM
Post #36

Advanced Member

QUOTE (BRFC @ Nov 15 2017, 11:54 AM) *
Great beer. Heavy on the alcohol, but with a very nice balance. Nice call. Right up there with Duvel as far as I'm concerned.

Yes a bit heavy. More of a treat than a session. 1 or 2 smile.gif

+Quote Post
scoobyliscious
post Nov 15 2017, 07:57 PM
Post #37

Ambassador of Grandiose Vision & Pomposity
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,142

QUOTE (crazylegs @ Nov 14 2017, 03:03 PM) *
Scooby I lovin the maple and bacon bock hybrid beer laugh.gif

You should make the trip down from Toronto, which is both an easy flight and an easy drive (take the QE Highway out of Toronto, let it become Interstate 75 south through the States, when you reach Cincinnati take the Liberty Street exit east, when you see the Scary Shell Station, park and find the drunken smokers hanging outside). Driving is about 8 hours.

Bockfest is always the first weekend in March, so 2018 = March 2 (Friday) through March 4 (Sunday). Best to make sure you start drinking early-ish on Saturday, as we do tend to run out of varieties of Bock as the day goes on.

Just sayin'

--------------------
I used to stay out late and try to walk the Muse home. Now I get up fresh-faced at 7 a.m. and take advantage of her while she's passing out.
-Bono

+Quote Post
crazylegs
post Nov 15 2017, 08:48 PM
Post #38

Sodalis Extraordinaire!

QUOTE (tigerjames @ Nov 14 2017, 08:52 PM) *
Had one of these when Aldi had their "real ale" special event this year,
but cannot really remember what it tasted like rolleyes.gif ..Think I was on a real ale session and by
the time I got to it they all tasted nice biggrin.gif
Will try again agree.gif

Go on just admit it..You were p*ssed weren't ya! laugh.gif

--------------------

WCGrid

+Quote Post
crazylegs
post Nov 15 2017, 08:58 PM
Post #39

Sodalis Extraordinaire!

QUOTE (Netley Lucas @ Nov 15 2017, 05:06 PM) *

Bottle Pours a dark brown colour with a slight red tint, with a thin white head, aroma is light and hoppy with hints of fruit, taste is light bitterness with a dry bitter fruit finish

Sounds like a nice beer Netters
Will keep an eye out for it see if it comes up anywhere down my way

--------------------

WCGrid

+Quote Post
the_juice
post Nov 16 2017, 02:34 AM
Post #40

Advanced Member

QUOTE (crazylegs @ Nov 15 2017, 04:58 PM) *
Sounds like a nice beer Netters
Will keep an eye out for it see if it comes up anywhere down my way

Is it like an Irish Red? I have been enjoying some sweet browns and reds lately.

Have any of you in England tried any of the beer from Black Sheep? When I lived in Teesside there was a pub that had it on tap, fresh and delicious. I’ve tried ordering some online but the bastards won’t ship to Canada.

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th June 2018 - 01:39 PM